Section 005, Instructor: Shana Pote

Weekly Question #11: Complete by Nov. 30, 2017

Leave your response to the question below as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on November 30, 2017. It only needs to be three or four sentences.

What was the most important takeaway (from your perspective) from this course? If you had to explain to a future MIS0855 scholar what this course was about, what would you say?

16 Responses to Weekly Question #11: Complete by Nov. 30, 2017

• I think one of the most important things to take away from this course is the awareness of data in all that we do and how powerful it can be if leveraged properly. Close second to that, is the ability to learn to work with tools such as tableau because in business you will need to learn technology at a faster rate than ever before. Technology is changing at such a quick pace. Having the aptitude to learn how to work with these tools will set you apart and help you to add value to your role wherever you end up.

• I think an important aspect of this course was how to use tools like Tableau and Excel to their full extent-technology is constantly changing and learning how to use these tools helps me grasp a better understanding of the relationship between data and technology.

• In my opinion, I think that the most important takeaway from this course was all of the functions and technical skills that we learned in Tableau and Excel. I feel as those the technical skills were the most important takeaways from this course, because employers will most likely need you to know how to use this technology when you begin working for them and learning these skills now provide us with the foundation we need to succeed in our jobs. In addition to this, all of the concepts and ideas we learned in this class can be applied to our technological knowledge we have gained from this class.

• The most important takeaway for me was the use of the tools throughout the course (Excel and Tableau). If I were to explain this course to a future student, I would say it’s a very interesting course with an application and/or relation in your daily and business life.

• I would tell a future student that this class is a great overview of the capabilities of data. I think students get a good idea on how data can be used correctly, but how there are also so many issues with it. Learning how to properly handle data can be helpful in any career, and I’ve definitely learned some tricks that will help me in the future.

• An important takeaway from this course is the realization that data is everywhere and will only continue to expand in our generation. I would explain this course to a future student as a class that teaches you the many tools and applications of data in our life. I think it is very important to learn how to utilize data because of the massive effect it now has on businesses.

• An important takeaway for me from this class is how important data is in our daily life. Before this class, I didn’t really know there are so many data around us on a daily basis, now I realize that data is everywhere, also it’s really important in our life. Also the exercise on the excel and tableau helps me learn how to manage large amount of data and extract important information from it.

• The most important takeaway from me in this class, was the realization that data could be this powerful, and it has kinda enlightened me about use of data and how to understand, predict them. Also learning tools like tableau and getting a deeper understanding of excel has been pretty awesome. And how data can be used in basically any anything.

• An important takeaway from this course would be just how much data is around us and how it is used. Before taking this class, I didn’t even think about the number of emails I have and who I text or call, or what my phone records about me as data that can be used for something more substantial. I also thought learning how to use programs like Excel and Tableau was a valuable skill and how to sort out errors that these programs can make were very important skills.

• The most important takeaway for me is that big data is powerful. I realized that it is not as scary and overwhelming as it may seem, especially with tools like excel and tableau to manage data and incorporate it into every day life. Big data has a huge impact on many fields especially in business which makes this a valuable class to take.

• The most important takeaway from this class that I have is that data is the key tool in predicting and solving problems, which is one of the most powerful things that we have. To explain this class to another student, is that this class is a chance to learn about how data relates to everything that we do. Also it is a class that teaches you how to use a useful tools in tableau and excel. These skills will be valued in the workplace for the future and now.

• Data science is a course that helped me understand data as a whole, analyze it, and sort through it. Managing data is everywhere, no matter what field of interest a person has. This course taught me how to represent data to an audience in a persuasive way by using data analyzing tools such as Tableau, Excel, and Piktochart.

• One of the most important things to take from the course is the importance of data. Data is around us at all times and to better understand the world we live in, it is extremely helpful to be able to analyze it. Skills like using excel and tableau enable us to be able to break information down and create a hypothesis.

• Information can be very easily found from just about anything I would say is the most important thing to take away from this class. Furthermore, data can also help fuel innovation for the future and provide information that was not possible to ever get at any period in time. Taking this course will teach you what data is and how to make data useful.

• I think the most important takeaway from this semester is how influential visualizing data can be for establishing relationships between variables. Familiarity with tableau and access to a user license for the rest of my time at Temple was an added bonus. I am excited to be able to continue to work with open sourced data from local municipalities to generate informative visuals in future political science research.

• I think the most important takeaway from this semester is how important data and understanding it is. This course has given me basic but important skills that I’ve already been able to utilize in group projects and at my job. I would say this course is about introducing basic computational style thinking and methods. Having gone through this course, I can now see a problem and then think about how to fix it using the software and methods we discussed in class.