Section 005, Instructor: Shana Pote

Uncategorized

Final Exam Reminder

Just a reminder that your final exam will be on Thursday, December 14 at 5:45pm in the same room as class.  Please be on time.  Students will not be permitted to enter late. Please make sure that all missing assignments, quizzes and weekly questions are done before the start of the exam.  Grades will be submitted after the exam.

Updates to exercises for additional study materials

Class,

Study Guide download issue has been fixed, you should be able to access that file now. (Thank you to those that brought it to my attention.)

In Class Exercises 8.2, 9.1 and 9.2 have been updated with the final versions of the exercises, so you can check your work and compare to the answer keys. Please use these as additional study materials for the exam.

As always, contact me with questions about the material or for office study hours.

Video Solution for Assignment #2

In the interests of time, I have posted a video on our Class Capture page of how the charts were to be created and analysis conducted for Assignment #2. We will not be reviewing this in class, so please take the time to view independently.

Let me know if you have questions after watching the video.

Thanks,

Professor Pote

Study Guide for Exam 1

Here is the study guide for the first midterm exam. Exam review is the first 90 minutes of class on October 5 (or until you run out of questions), followed by a short break, and then the 50-minute exam period.

Format for review is:

• Unstructured, for my part. I do not have an agenda for topics to cover. I will field questions as you ask them, but only if you ask them.
  • I won’t answer questions like “what’s going to be on the exam”.
  • Conceptually, the following are subject for valid questions:
    • Anything on the study guide
    • Anything from the readings
    • Anything from the slides and in-class activities
    • Anything from the Assignments
    • Anything from the quizzes and weekly questions
  • When the questions stop or we reach 90 minutes, exam review will end.
  • On the matter of questions:
    • There are no dumb questions.
    • Don’t self-censor. Ask your question, and leave it to me to determine if it’s one I’m inclined to answer, discuss, or if it’s too close to the “what’s on the exam” slant to respond to.
    • Remember if you have the question, likelihood is someone else does too, and they’ll probably thank you for asking it.
    • And lastly, do come to class with questions in hand.

Suggested study approach:

• Review the Study Guide first, then:
  • Start with the slides
    • Look at the major concepts
    • Where a slide is associated with a reading, review the reading that covers the major concept
    • Understand how the reading is associated with the slide, and the reading’s key concepts
  • Then look at the quizzes
    • Review the questions and answers to the quizzes
    • Understand where all the answers came from, review those readings
  • Then review the In-Class Exercises
    • If we did it in an exercise, it’s probably important.
    • Focus on topics we emphasized in the Exercises.
  • Then, review your Assignments.
  • Lastly, re-read any readings you didn’t review in the prior study steps.

What will be on the exam, in order of likelihood, are:

• Things we talked about explicitly in class
  • Slides, and readings directly associated with them
  • Things I quizzed you on
  • Things we worked on in class through the exercises
  • Things you used while completing Assignments
  • Other things from readings that may not have otherwise been emphasized in class discussion or readings

More Open Data examples on the Internet

As a follow up to Module 1, we talked about a few examples of open data. Here are some others you might want to check out throughout the course. Consider how having these data sets freely available to the public might transform various industries:

Tableau version to download

Class,

Tableau Version 10.x appears to be suitable for the class exercises and assignments, so we’ll be using that version. When you register with Tableau and request your license, they should send you a link where you can download the executable file. Let me know if you have any difficulties with obtaining or installing the software.

Thanks,

Professor Pote

Take Home: In-Class Exercise 2.2: Finding Sources of Data

As discussed in class on Thursday, please comment on this post with the following:

• What dataset did you find
  • Where did you find it
  • Why did you think it was interesting
  • What did you learn from the data
  • How could you use the data or what decisions could you make based on it

Please post your comments before class on Thursday, September 14, 2017.

Office Hours

Shana Pote
shana.pote@temple.edu

Alter Hall 232
Class time: 5:30-8pm, Thursdays
Office hours: Thursdays, 1 hour before class, or by appointment.