MIS 2101.701 – Amy Lavin – Spring 2017

Weekly Question #4

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on February 14, 2017.  Your response only needs to be about three or four sentences. These weekly questions should reinforce class discussions, readings and show some insight.  

Hint: If you sign into the site using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.

This week, we reviewed ERPs and Data Analytics.  In any organization, it is crucial to collect good data and have an integrated system that enables users to have one clear view of the data and customer.    Thinking about your major and your future careers in business – why is this important?  How could good data or bad data have an impact on your daily job?  

32 Responses to Weekly Question #4

• The HR Department that I currently work in has recently undergone the learning curves of implementing a new ERP. We now use an HR database, a payroll system and a time and attendance system that all talk to each other and update accordingly. Instead of having to input information into three separate systems, we now only have to update one. It has made life so much easier for every employee involved in the process, and has demonstrated to me personally just how crucial it is to have an integrated system. About 80-90% of data we use is unstructured. This data impacts the daily job of any worker in today’s force because we are left to analyze unstructured data and make sense of it in order to solve business problems.

• For the physical therapy office I work at, the implement of data has proven to be only good. We finally signed a contract with a firm to integrate a completely electronic system for all of the offices and even the doctor offices. This is going to be so much easier because now the doctors can see everything that the therapists record and vice versa. It was a problem before because if we scanned something in, we might be on a different system versus the doctor office. Therefore, even though we scanned it into our system, they still weren’t able to see it, so we would have to do the extra step of faxing it over to them. Now that we’ll have a totally different data integration system, its going to make all of our lives so much easier and I cannot wait!

• Working in Healthcare Sales and Marketing, data is crucial for the day to day/ long term success of our company. In sales we look at numbers/data on a weekly, quarterly and yearly basis. We use the data to look at certain trends and use them to forecast what our goals should be. However, data is not just important when looking at marketing/sales goals. With the ever changing healthcare regulations and payment reform, Medicare/ Insurance agencies and Hospital Health Systems are now looking into our data. Agencies like mine (home health) will only be able to survive when they can show that they have good quality patient outcomes. Different measures such as client satisfaction, rehospitalization rates and how well a patient shows improvement on ambulation are measured through our oasis (outcome assessment information set) which is then reported back to CMS and published for anyone to see. This makes agencies like mine transparent. We are transparent to our referral sources (they will want their patients to have the best outcomes possible), Patients ( they have a choice in their post acute providers and will choose an agency with the highest score) and Insurance Companies ( In the near future we believe they will reimburse us based on these scores). Data is such a big part of the every day operations and long term goals for success. I think many agencies much smaller than mine will have a hard time surviving in the ever changing market without investing in state of the art software and using their data for quality improvement.

• I am in banking now, and it is crucial that our members receive the proper information from each transaction. We also send out surveys for each member to complete so we know where we can improve. The data we receive will show us what we can do better for the member, and processing the data is very crucial to our success. As far as my major, Accounting is all about processing data. The information I receive is crucial, and I will need to be able to see where we can improve, and make the necessary improvement for the success of the company I work for.

• I am a MIS major and I think my future job will have to deal with a lot of data (collect, present, analyze data…). Having an integrated system like ERP will turn my job more convenient and less painful than ever before since everything (sources, data) is located in only one place and I only have to update it once, it’s easier to notice the change. There’s no more collecting sources from places to places and updating everything from times to times. this probably will save a great deal of time and money

• As an International Business major, I can see why ERPs and Data Analytics would be so important for doing business globally. ERPs eliminate discrepancies and miscommunication between users and help everyone understand workflows. A good ERP system could benefit companies who operate with multiple currencies and languages. As businesses grow, their ERP system should grow and develop with them.

• As a Federal Loan collector I think good data is very important, because I rely on this information to be accurate. If I review a customer’s account and the data is incorrect, it affects the customer and other departments. Bad data will cause problems for everyone involved in the different processes.

• I’m currently interning at an Employee Benefits provider, and study RMI at Temple, collecting good data and having an integrated system is crucial in Insurance and Risk Analysis. This is important because inaccurate date can alter the calculation of a risk, then further incorrectly load the premium, and this causing an incorrect amount to be charged. Big picture, if you don’t charge enough, you aren’t accurately treating a risk and will end up paying out proportionately, if you overcharge you will lose a client. Furthermore, Insurance is a slow stride when it comes to technology, and most systems are integrated for multiple department usage – such as SalesForce. If you or anyone else at any point treats bad data like good data, It’ll result and skewing any operations, equations, or documents going forward – which could result in a huge mistake that could have been avoided.

• It has a huge impact! Keeping the customer data (pertinent contact info, purchases, # of jobs, total invoices, invoices paid, not paid, etc…) in one central place for anyone to access and see the entire life cycle of a client in one spot is critical to any business these days. I was a sales professional working at a call center company that had 50 small boutique call centers across the country each having their own unique specialization. We did not have an ERP system in place. All client information was pretty much stored on the systems at each individual call center. I had a client that I sold services to, I did the invoices, I ensured we received payment, I did the customer services, I sold them more services. This particular client had 6 different projects running in 6 different call centers. I managed all the important stuff to keep it all sorted out properly for me and for my client, while the call centers performed the day-to-day operations. One day we received a company letter informing us that the company sold half of our call centers and we were slitting the company in half. Well, 2 of my clients projects were 2 call centers that were being sold, thus there was a problem. I couldn’t have my clients work be sold and performed by another another company. I had to take the matter up with the CEO, which he not happy about this. The company sale was pretty much complete and he now had to essentially reopen discussions with to whom he sold half the company to and tell them that we need to keep two client programs. The point is, we had no ERP system, when they looked at the individual books of each call center, no one put two and two together that these 6 projects are all one customer. They just assumed they were 6 different clients. If there was an ERP system, there would have been no confusion, no problems. I wouldn’t have had to manage all the important stuff and the sale of the company would of went much smoother for everyone. It was disaster of a company sale because there was no ERP system in place.

• As an intern at The Institutes, I get to see how important having the correct data has. We provide continuing education for employees in the risk and insurance field, and many of our clients are large businesses and organizations. We have an agreement with all of our customers, that we will not actively recruit any of their employees. About a month ago, our recruiter reached out to someone on LinkedIn about a job we had available, because she though the person would be a good fit for our company. On the candidates LinkedIn page, they had the abbreviated name of their company listed. Our recruiter did not know what the abbreviated name stood for, so she actively recruited this candidate for an entry level position, not realizing that he worked for one of our biggest customers. As you can imagine, this was a very big deal, and the candidates CEO ended up calling our CEO and threatened to stop giving us their business because we had breached our contract. If we had all of the information and data about our customers that we needed, none of this would have happened. Having all of your data in a clear way has such a huge impact on your job, because it allows you to do your job correctly, and not make mistakes that could cost your company a client.

• My major is accounting. Having a fully integrated system is incredibly important when working in my major’s specific field. Working in accounting we need to have up to date information on our customer base from multiple departments. We need to be able to communicate directly in an instant with the sales department for instance. Say the customer’s account is on hold or is maxed out I would immediately need to be able to put this information in the database that takes my information about the customer and makes it available to the sales department so they know not to go through with pursuing the sale. Likewise if a customer has paid off their account I need the information from the billing department rapidly so that I can update the customers information in the accounting department, so that the sales department sees that they have credit once more. Or say a customer over pays for an item on accident I need to be able to receive the invoice that was paid from the sales department rapidly to apply the credit to the customers account. There are many variables and situations which are crucial for a system to communicate with every department with in an instant. Almost any negative situation due to lack of communication can be avoided with an integrated system.

• I used to work for an answering service that took calls for different types of companies (HVAC, Doctor’s offices, Funeral homes, etc.) and it taught me the value of collecting good data. What can often happen as a message gets passed from the caller to the message taker to the dispatcher to the office contact is that data can be misinterpreted. If one question was answered incorrectly by the message taker either accidentally or because the caller didn’t clearly communicate what they needed, it would affect how that message was dispatched and how promptly the office contact could respond. One of the most important questions is “Do you consider this an emergency?” The answer to this question completely alters how this call is handled and what information is gathered. By not answering this question correctly, it could lead to the office contact not getting the message quickly enough and not having adequate information once they do.

• My current major is Marketing and I am currently in sales as my occupation. Having current and correct information at my finger tips is very important to my day to day business. My customers rely on me for their supply and equipment orders on our stock items, and from our manufacturer in-house items. If they are in need of a product by a certain date, I have to make it happen or find alternatives for their business. This technology takes hours of work of searching inventory, looking up my customer’s history and/or product information and complete all the tasks within minutes. It allows accounting to approve orders as soon as it is placed, and I receive a confirmation email of the order and the delivery date, in some cases, I even receive a tracking number from the carrier in which the products will be delivered so that I can keep on top of it and inform my customers in real time. This creates a platform for great customer service…

• I currently work at a beauty supply distributor as a Quality Control Inspector. I always use the most popular ERP software SAP to check the current inventory status, PO and Goods Receipt for inbound shipments at my workplace. This integrated system makes my colleagues’ and my job very efficient. We can obtain any data whenever we need, and we can update information without much efforts. Even though each department use different modules for their primary jobs. However, the system itself provides the same information to the users in the same network. Having good data is extremely important because the information drives the business. Having bad data can drive the business to a wrong direction. I think that integrated system and good data are essential for every business.

• I just recently formed my LLC and I’m learning everything as I go. Looking into future endeavors for my business, clear and integrated data is absolutely imperative in operating fluidly. The ability to see everything located centrally, as I can imagine, would not only help with the speed of daily routines but with the overall workings of the organization. This, could, in turn, make a business more desirable to consumers.

• Data is a huge part of my current job being in the residential management field. In order to lease apartments we need to collect data on who needs apartments, where people are going to find apartments, how much people are willing to pay to rent apartments, etc. We then use this data to make sure we are putting our marketing dollars in the right areas to get the attention of prospects to rent our apartments. We also conduct weekly market surveys to see what our comparable properties are offering so that stay in line with the competition. If we failed to collect the right data then we would be losing out on leases and then losing out on revenue for the company.

• Having customer data, such as contact information, purchases, invoices numbers with paid or unpaid notations, all in one place seems to be an essential part of running a successful business. Being able to access a customers data in a matter of minutes prevents employees from having to sort through piles of information that could potentially take hours out of company time.

• Working in Healthcare Sales, data is vital for providing proper health insurance. In sales, data is always utilized daily, it is used to determine pricing, target markets, and overall coverage so it is the most crucial segment of the business. If the company had bad data, we could have poor pricing, therefore making us unable to expand business and risk pools which could lead to insolvency in worst case scenario. Also, we could offer only to high risk individuals because of bad data potentially leading to insolvency as well. It is also needed to comply with the many government regulations so the processes can be synchronized for different divisions that all need to maintain compliance. This saves a lot of time and reduces risk greatly, as non-compliance can result in huge fines.

• Since my major is HR I think ERPs and Data Analytics would be very important as serving as a major communication tool within a business, as a best source of communicator for all intertwining information. You could access adequate payroll records (time worked, vacation, overtime, etc), that can also travel from department to department if there was a need for it. Good data can help you analyze your business and the workings within, and based on the data you are analyzing you can make adequate decisions to improve the overall workings of your company/organization, or see if there is a problem, as well as view efficiency. Bad data, can give you an incomplete picture about your business, or the wrong picture about your business, and therefore cause problems in the functioning and improving of your organization.

• I’m a Marketing major, but I’ve always dreamed of running my own business. As a business owner, it will be important to keep up-to-date records on my customers. Doing so will allow us to follow-up with customers, tailor mailings to their interests and needs, and make sure that we’re not repetitive with our interactions with customers. When everyone can see the most up-to-date information, we’ll have immediate access to the status and situation of a customer. If we fail to update our customer records, multiple employees may reach out to the same customer for the same thing, which would waste our time, the customer’s time, and annoy our customers.

• In all three retail companies I’ve worked for, I can now look back and see how ERPs were in place. I want to go into the market research field, so whether the data is good or bad could make a tremendous difference on what results are derived. Good data would mean it’s relevant to the focus at hand, segmented properly to make sure each target segment is represented, respondents are screened to make sure they meet the criterion, and there should be enough respondents so that the sample size is one where the data is accurate. If data is mixed up, improperly input, or a respondent isn’t being honest, the flow of data could be disrupted, making it more difficult to decipher. Bad data would also make a client lose credibility in my firm and not give the great reviews I’d be hoping for. Good data is what leads companies to making better decisions and more accurate decisions to keep their clients/customers satisfied.

• As a risk major, customer data is very important in the insurance marketplace. For instance, when a customer files a claim, it is important that the claims department has all the necessary information regarding the customer and the insurance contract. Incorrect or incomplete information can slow the entire claims process down, and possibly cause a claim acceptance or rejection to occur despite the wrong information being present.

• In my current company, we use a main ERD and some supplemental programs to bridge the gap between what we need and what the main system can do (although I haven’t used the other programs). Having relevant, updated data is crucial to our daily operations. For example, one of our field locations can enter an invoice for Little Debbie snacks, and we can view the information at the corporate level so the AP team can make payments. It’s important that the data is accurate and current so that everyone can get their jobs done. Bad data would cause problems up and down the ladder: sites show large variances if data was incorrect, billing has to reverse invoices, and fuel numbers could lead too shortages.

• Having the ability to work in Marketing for the last few years is definitely a plus for the fact that I am getting experience in the field that I am in. My company, being that of a small to medium business, can definitely use an ERD system, but practices without it. I’m the project manager of the company so I have to basically third party applications that allow an integrated system to be managed throughout our designers, developers and coding experts. After learning more about ERP systems in this class, a suggestion has been placed into my CEO’s mind so hopefully a system will be created because it would save hours upon hours of work each week as to what I currently do, which is many steps to accomplish one specific goal.

• I have been working for a chemical distribution company getting experience in sales and marketing. We unfortunately do not have an ERD system but would absolutely benefit from one in the sense of training procedures, and sales operations. We could use one to overview the steps of training and what to do in certain situations, which could be the same type of tool for sales processes. In my field, bad data could ultimately lead me to lose a sale. When dealing with multimillion dollar industries, as a sales rep I do not have the room for error, especially when trying to market myself, brand, and product. 9 times out of 10 the businesses we are reaching out to have already researched the chemical in question and if our information doesn’t match up with their research we look unprofessional and not trustworthy.

• In my coming field of work, accounting, having correct data is of almost indescribable importance. In accounting, having the correct data is not only crucial to the bottom line but to the company’s well being too. Incorrect data would not only affect the books but also interfere with compliance issues and laws which would result in further ramifications for the company. In addition, correct financial data is crucial to a company’s ability to make growth and investment decisions that affect the health and longevity of the company.

• I work in audit and account reconciliations while bad data would not be beneficial in that it would hold the entire process up from various departments to the account holder themselves we do not have a ERD system. Learning about it during this course allows you to see just how beneficial it would be. We have to research the work of different departments to find the cause of an error so if the data we receive were not correct this could be a potential risk exposure.

• I use a data system for my business. This is very important because it keeps all of my customer’s information stored safe but accessible for me when I need to access it. This also allows for my customers to book directly online. The way the system is designed does not allow for an item to be over-booked. If I did not have this system in place it would be easy to book more one event for the same item. This would make for some very unhappy customers and the demise of my business.

-Michelle

• Good data is vital to any industry. If you forecast supply and materials purchases improperly you can cost your company absurd amounts of money. On the other side, using data properly will be extremely vital to figuring out how much of what you need and when you need it. As a marketing major, proper data is crucial for segmentation and brand positioning, as well as pricing and infinite other things that need to be analyzed

• In marketing, Data Analysis is extremely important in learning abut the consumers and how the products affect/are being reacted to. Using Data Analytics in marketing allows producers and market strategists to target audiences more specifically through analyzing aspects such as when ads are being clicked on the most, what is being bought more than another product, and keeping records of consumer’s information.

• Good data and bad data have enormous impact in my daily job. I work in aviation and we use data to track to everything. Without data we cannot track failure rates of major components. We cannot track how long components will last in field and schedule inspections around all of that data. It literally is a matter of life and death in many cases. From a financial point of view my company uses data reported by the customer to generate their comp and warranty plans so that we can accurately charge customers and they feel as if they’re getting their money’s worth. I wish our customer had a true understanding of how important data is because many of them are hesitate to comply with what we ask for and the reporting of the hours.

• I work for a catering company and we use data anywhere from inventory control to building menus. It is important to track what is ordered most often, what sells the best, or what doesn’t sell at all when we our redesigning our weddings and menu packages. In the operations department I use data to control my inventory so I can control loss and also control under or over ordering product.