instructor: Aaron Zhi Cheng, Section 003

Monthly Archives: September 2018

Resources for Assignment 1 (ER Modeling)

As Assignment 1 is due next Monday, 9/17, here are some additional resources to get help:

1. I hold regular office hours on Mondays and Wednesdays between 3:50 and 4:50 pm, in Speakman 201F. If you have a quick question, simply email me and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

2. If you’d like to practice on ERD, here is a practice question: Additional ERD Practice Question. It will not be collected. Step by step explanation and solution is provided.

Setting up MySQL Workbench Before Week 4 (the week of 9/17)

We’ll be using MySQL Workbench to create and execute SQL queries (to interact with databases). That will start around September 19, 2018.

(1) If you’re using your own computer (Windows or Mac), you’ll need to install the software;

If you’re using a lab computer which already has MySQL Workbench installed, you’ll still need to configure a connection to access databases with your username and password.

(2) You can get instructions for how to do both of those things in this Quick Guide to MySQL Workbench. Use the guide to set up your software and connection.

(3) Whether you use a lab computer or your own computer, you’ll also need a MySQL username and password. I’ve assigned one to each of you, which you’ll find in the Under Grades in Canvas

• To find it, in Canvas, click Grades, then click “MySQL Account
  • You will find the MySQL username and password are added as comments to “MySQL Account.”
  • The first value that starts with “m” is the username, and the second value is the password.

Assignment #1: ER Modeling [Due Monday, 9/17/18 at 11:59 pm]

Here are the instructions for Assignment#1: ER Modeling.

Use ERDPlus to complete the assignment.

• You must submit a single Microsoft Word or PDF document  (if you send multiple files, you will not get credit for the assignment.)
  • If you do not follow the instructions, your assignment will be counted late.
  • Late Assignment policy: All assignments will be assessed a 50% penalty (subtracted from that assignment’s score) for the first day (i.e. 24 hours) they are late. No credit will be given for assignments turned in more than 24 hours past the deadline.
  • Work needs to be done individually.

The assignment is due by Sep 17th, 11:59 p.m.

Agenda for Week 3 (Week of 9/10)

Dear all,

Below is the agenda for Week 3.

Monday (9/10):

Relational Data Modelling and ERD

ICA #1.2: Creating an entity relationship diagram (ERD)

Notes: In ICA #1.2, we will use ERDPlus (https://erdplus.com/#/standalone) to create Entity Relationship Diagrams (ERD). Please view the YouTube tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5-yy51eNGY) before the class. This short video shows you how to create and export ERD as an image which can be placed into a Word document.

Wednesday (9/12):

Converting ERDs to Schemas

Friday (9/14):

ICA #1.3: Converting ERDs to Schemas

Best,

Aaron

Agenda for Week 2 (Week of 9/3)

Dear all,

Hope you had a great weekend and labor day!

Below is the agenda for Week 2.

Wednesday (9/5):

Relational Data Modelling and ERD

ICA (In-Class Activity) #1.1: Identifying entities and attributes

Note: Your answers to ICA are required to submit before 6:50 pm on Wednesday. You can submit the file through Canvas>Assignment>In-Class Activities. By the way, I will not print out the question set for you. It’s up to you to print it or use the electronic version instead. Also, make sure that you have a computer to work on in the class.

Friday (9/7): 

More on ERD (primary keys, relationships, cardinality)

Best,

Aaron