instructor: Aaron Zhi Cheng, Section 003

Uncategorized

Bonus Credit Assignment: Creating Schemas (Optional, Due Monday, 10/1/18, 11:59 pm)

There is a bonus credit assignment about creating schemas. It is optional. This is worth an additional 30% toward your Assignment #1 grade, if you choose to do it. Here are the instructions: Bonus Credit Assignment – Creating Schemas. It is due Monday, Oct 1, 11:59 pm. Submit your solution as a Word or PDF document through Canvas > Assignments.

Agenda for Week 4 (the week of 9/17)

Below is the agenda for Week 4.

Monday (9/17):

Getting Data out of a Database

Notes: Make sure you’ve reviewed the guide for setting up a connection in MySQL Workbench and reviewed the MySQL powerpoint deck. Check the previous post on MySQL setup and supplementary powerpoint.

Wednesday (9/19):

MySQL Quick Demo

ICA #2.1: Working with SQL, Part 1.

Friday (9/21):

Joining Tables, SQL Subselects, LIMIT

Resources for Assignment 1 (ER Modeling)

As Assignment 1 is due next Monday, 9/17, here are some additional resources to get help:

1. I hold regular office hours on Mondays and Wednesdays between 3:50 and 4:50 pm, in Speakman 201F. If you have a quick question, simply email me and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

2. If you’d like to practice on ERD, here is a practice question: Additional ERD Practice Question. It will not be collected. Step by step explanation and solution is provided.

Agenda for Week 3 (Week of 9/10)

Dear all,

Below is the agenda for Week 3.

Monday (9/10):

Relational Data Modelling and ERD

ICA #1.2: Creating an entity relationship diagram (ERD)

Notes: In ICA #1.2, we will use ERDPlus (https://erdplus.com/#/standalone) to create Entity Relationship Diagrams (ERD). Please view the YouTube tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5-yy51eNGY) before the class. This short video shows you how to create and export ERD as an image which can be placed into a Word document.

Wednesday (9/12):

Converting ERDs to Schemas

Friday (9/14):

ICA #1.3: Converting ERDs to Schemas

Best,

Aaron

Agenda for Week 2 (Week of 9/3)

Dear all,

Hope you had a great weekend and labor day!

Below is the agenda for Week 2.

Wednesday (9/5):

Relational Data Modelling and ERD

ICA (In-Class Activity) #1.1: Identifying entities and attributes

Note: Your answers to ICA are required to submit before 6:50 pm on Wednesday. You can submit the file through Canvas>Assignment>In-Class Activities. By the way, I will not print out the question set for you. It’s up to you to print it or use the electronic version instead. Also, make sure that you have a computer to work on in the class.

Friday (9/7): 

More on ERD (primary keys, relationships, cardinality)

Best,

Aaron

MIS 2502 Survey: Get to know your background

Please take a couple of minutes to complete this optional survey: MIS 2502 Survey: Get to know your background by August 28 (the day before the 2nd class). This is for me to know a bit about you so that I can adjust the materials based on your background and interests. Your response would be much appreciated.

Looking forward to seeing you on Tuesday!

Best,

Aaron

Welcome to MIS2502 Data Analytics!

Dear students,

Welcome to MIS2502 Data Analytics! This site will host the coursework for Section 003, by Aaron Zhi Cheng.

Please note that we will use this site to post up-to-date materials such as syllabus/schedule, class announcements, slide decks, in-class activities, and assignment instructions. While I will try to make announcements both in class and on the community site, it is a good idea for you to check the website regularly.

The Canvas site (Canvas.temple.edu) will be primarily for assignment submission, and sharing answer keys and videos/recordings. The grades will also be posted on Canvas.

Looking forward to a great semester!