Strategic Management of IT – Fall 2014

MIS 3534-001 – Prof. Min-Seok Pang

Day 02 – Sign up for presentation

For next week’s class, we need two volunteers to present the following articles (5 minutes each). Please leave a comment below to sign up.

• HBS Case – “Otis Elevator: Accelerating Business Transformation with IT”
  • Harvard Business Review – “The Five Forces That Shape Strategy” by M.E. Porter

Presenters will be given both participation points and a waiver for one reading brief. Please leave a reply below. I’ll let you know how to download the 2nd one.

Day 02 – In-class Discussion Questions

For those who are eager to participate but not comfortable with speaking up in a crowd, I’m sharing some of the questions that we’ll be discussing next Monday. Like I said, preparation can be a pill to your shyness.

• In Porter’s Five Forces model, when do buyers have a strong bargaining powers?
  • Why is elevator service business more profitable than elevator manufacturing?
  • The case says “The service market attracted many participants because of its steady demand, low barriers of entry, and high profitability.” (p. 3) Doesn’t it mean that the service market is not profitable for Otis?
  • Can you think of an example of bundle around us?
  • For Otis to successfully transform itself to a service provider as it wants, what kind of actions or changes are imperative?
  • How were things going before and after OtisLine?

Be advised that these questions are not for online discussions.

Day 02 – Reading Brief (Otis Elevator) Guidelines

Read the Otis Elevator case from the Harvard Business coursepack and explain the following three points in your brief.

• What’s the direction of Otis’s strategic move?
  • Why is Otis trying to shift its strategic focus?
  • How do Otis’s IT projects (OtisLine, e*Lostistics) support such a move?

Instructions

• Up to 200 words.
  • Due by 5:30pm on Sep 8. A late submission will not be graded.
  • For your brief to be considered for a best brief with extra credits, you need to submit by noon on Sep 8.
  • DO NOT COPY AND PASTE from the case. Use your own words. Plagiarized work will be graded at 0.

Day 1 – Discussion Questions

Yesterday, we discussed the following questions. Please post your thoughts on any of these questions.

• Should a CIO be chosen among technically-trained managers or business-background managers?
  • Which skill is easier to learn? IT or Management?
  • Why do you think the board of directors chose Mr. Barton as a new CIO?
  • What does it mean by “IT management is about management”?
  • What does it mean by “IT department is positioned to understand how the business works better than any other department” ?
  • What are the common characteristics of the CIOs, who we saw in the videos, in Walmart, Harrah’s and the United States?

Day 1 – Introduction – Video Links

Todd Park and Steven Van Roekel – TechCrunch

http://on.aol.com/video/todd-park-and-steven-vanroekel-talk-about-the-new-government-technology-initiatives—-disrupt-517377234

IS in Action – Wal-Mart Supply Chain – CNBC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUe-tSabKag

Harrah’s Entertainment CIO – ZDNet

http://www.zdnet.com/videos/cio/harrahs-entertainment-cio-tim-stanley/334830?tag=content;selector-videos

Keynote Address, Rob Carter, CIO Fedex – PointThink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2UhvZleXN8

Textbook and Harvard Business School Cases

In this semester, MIS 3534 will have two required materials.

One is a textbook – Austin, R.D., Nolan, R.L., and O’Donnell, S., The Adventures of an IT Leader, Harvard Business Publishing, 2009. You can purchase a copy from Amazon.com.

Second, this courses will use a coursepack of Harvard Business School cases. You can purchase and download PDF copies from here. You’ll be required to create an account and need a credit card to purchase.

Welcome to MIS 3534 – Strategic Management of IT

Greetings,

I hope everyone is enjoying the summer break well. My name is Min-Seok, and I’ll be teaching MIS 3534 (Monday 5:30pm) this Fall semester. I would like to wholeheartedly welcome you all to MIS 3534!

The first class is on Monday, Aug 25 at 8:30pm at Alter Hall 603. Please find and read the attached syllabus and be prepared with the first class and the textbook. Please bring the textbook for the first day, but you’re not required to read the first chapter.

Once again, I’m excited to have you in MIS 3534. Enjoy the rest of the break, and I’ll look forward to seeing you soon.

– min-seok