Using our running example of the package delivery system:
Assume you have identified these four subsystems:
- Customer account subsystem (such as customer account)
- Pickup request subsystem (such as sales)
- Package delivery subsystem (such as order fulfillment)
- Routing and scheduling subsystem
Your assignment for this unit is to develop a test plan for each subsystem and for the overall project as well as to develop a conversion/deployment schedule.
- For your test plan, do the following:
- Develop an iteration test plan (i.e., one that applies to and can be used within a subsystem iteration mini-project). Discuss which types of testing (as identified in this chapter) you would include and why. Estimate how much time will be needed for each type of test. Discuss what types of testing might be combined or scheduled with an overlap.
- Develop a total project test plan to integrate all the subsystems. Discuss which types of testing you would include and why. (Don’t put them on a schedule yet.)
- Develop a conversion/deployment plan. Discuss these:
- Data conversion: Which parts of the data must be saved from the old spreadsheet/manual system? Which parts of the data can just be discarded (i.e., not moved to the new system)? Discuss specific tables that you identified in Chapter 12.
- Deployment: Based on your decisions about which subsystems should be deployed first, your overall testing plan, and your data conversion decisions, develop an overall schedule for testing and deployment of the new system. How would you characterize your solution: direct, parallel, or phased conversion? Support your answer by discussing the logic behind your decisions.