Community Platform
Interests
  • Business analysis
  • Business Intelligence (BI)
  • Business process analysis
  • Content management systems
  • more...
This Year
No Points
Total
1650 Points
MIS Badge

Click here
to validate the recipient

2015 Comcast Center Post Internship Recap

comcast_logothumb

This summer I have had the pleasure to intern with the Procurement Department of Comcast Cable Corporation for the second summer in row. Last summer I worked primarily as a fleet analyst for my dept. where I was responsible for producing inventory, maintenance, and fuel spend reports for Comcast’s inventory of 38,000 plus vehicles. I would essentially inform my manager of anything he needed to know about a certain vehicle in our inventory. Aside from this, I also created reporting of Vendor RFQs in order for management to evaluate supplier efficiencies and cost savings. I would keep track of each vendors pricing and offerings, while rating the vendor according to their qualifications for our business.

This summer I am still working on the Fleet side of Procurement, but I have also been exposed to the contract management side of the business as well. Cable has begun an initiative to review the current contract management processes and software platforms for the purpose of moving to a single managed solution that could interface with our operating system and replace the current Contract Management system in place today. My main project for the summer was to survey each of the business units on the Cable side of Comcast to gather information regarding the current system used in each department, the pain points or issues associated with the system, and the requirements for a new system from a functionality aspect so that we may begin to build the business case and payback proposal from switching to a newly proposed system. I have also been tasked with a number of other responsibilities including processing vehicle requisitions and overseeing the entire contract creation workflow from start to finish, but this overarching project has helped me to branch out of my comfort zone and interact with others on a daily basis. Through this, I have managed to create relationships with individuals and meet with a large amount of professionals in this industry from all sides of the business, including Marketing, Technical Operations, Legal, Business Services and more.

Aside from my work experiences, I have also had the opportunity to join a number of employee resource groups (ERG) including the Black Professional Alliance (BPA), and Unidos, a Hispanic/Latino ERG, where I was able to branch out and expand my professional network. Additionally I had the chance sit down and meet with numerous executives including Bret Perkins, Vice President of Government Affairs and Member of Temple University’s Board of Trustees, to learn more about their experiences, and hear their advice about working with a corporation such as Comcast. The lessons I have learned throughout this summer are extremely invaluable and the connections I have made have proved to be a huge benefit and resource with regard to new opportunities. I am happy to announce that I will be staying with Comcast Corporation in the fall and will be participating in a Cooperative Learning Experience with the Business Self Install Operations team where I will work with the department to increase the adoption of Self Install Kits (SIK) and help to manage and improve inventory management and requisition processing. This opportunity would not be possible if it weren’t for the people I have met this summer. Overall my experiences with this organization have been amazing and I am glad that I have the opportunity to remain with the company.

For more information, please see the link to a PowerPoint presentation outlining my experience this summer.

MIS 3581 Internship course presentation

Skip to toolbar