MIS 2101 Sec 001 – Adam Alalouf – Fall 2018

Eddie Izzard // terms and conditions

Keep comments to 50 words or fewer. Make them count! 

37 Responses to Eddie Izzard // terms and conditions

• Eddie Izzard is hilarious! I can relate to waiting for download speeds, while I wait for updates to continue and watch how long it will take. It is true that no one even reads terms and conditions anymore. It is just a given to just quickly click accept because we have to go through so many of them.

• Hey Justin,

Great comment! Waiting for an update to finish downloading is definitely horrible. I dread whenever I get a notification that my laptop needs to update because I know how long it’s going to take. You also bring up a good point on how we quickly accept terms and conditions now because we see them so often. Apple for example has updates with updated terms and conditions very often which I personally know I would not bother to reading all the way through because of how often they come up.

Nice post!

-Paul Creely

• Hey Justin,

Great comment! Waiting for an update to finish downloading is definitely horrible. I dread whenever I get a notification that my laptop needs to update because I know how long it’s going to take. You also bring up a good point on how we quickly accept terms and conditions now because we see them so often. Apple for example has updates with updated terms and conditions very often which I personally know I would not bother to read* all the way through because of how often they come up.

Nice post!

-Paul Creely

• Isnt that funny! I neeeeeever read the terms and conditions. Im always like whatever! If im agreeing to it, it cannot be too bad. I should really watch out. Who knows what I could be agreeing to!LOL

• Eddie Izzard is a top-notch comedian! He really makes this real world thing into something funny. They are in place to cover big corporation’s backs, while also pissing us off! He says no one reads them, but I can tell you my grandmother reads every one because she is scared “they are screwing” her!

• Eddie Izzard does a great job pointing out how individuals will just quickly accept to a company’s terms and conditions quickly without reading them because they happen so frequently now. This is important as major consumer privacy rights or legal rights could be given up in these terms and conditions.

• Eddie Izzard does a great job pointing out how individuals will just quickly accept to a company’s terms and conditions without reading them because they happen so frequently now. This is important as major consumer privacy rights or legal rights could be given up in these terms and conditions.

• I agree with Eddie Izzard when he talks about when you get a computer update, I personally don’t ever look at any of the update notes, and I get a good feeling that not many people do. Usually when we get updates I just click “yes” without reading anything. He then talks about the download speeds and the remaining time with the download. He says “8 minutes, 7 minutes, 6 minutes, 8 minutes, 2 minutes, 9 hours…” I thought this was hilarious because it was so true, download time jumps around so much, I’ve seen it happen so many times with things I’ve tried downloading and I’ve never understood why this happens. Overall i thought this video was very good!

• The way that Eddie Izzard talks about the software updates and people reactions to it is hilarious, it is really common that people ignore the terms and conditions because those are extremely long. The fact that we are controlled by the “blue line of time” makes it perfectly funny.

• Really hilarious speech, the problem of those terms and conditions are too long to read is annoying me for both i want know but i do not want to read so many words and those companies makes them extremely long.

• Hey Yangkai,

I think a lot of people would agree with you that the terms and conditions are very long. Most people don’t want to be bothered to read such a long list of terms just to use a product or service. However, it is definitely necessary in my opinion for companies to have such long terms and conditions in order to make sure everything is covered on their end. It is annoying for us as consumers to have to read though.

Nice post!
      -Paul Creely

• Eddie Izzard went about this in a great way, not only was it funny it is beyond true. Waiting for an update is awful and something I hate waiting for whether it is on a Mac or a Microsoft computer. I’ve found that a way to maximize update speeds are not to use the computer until the update is done. As for the terms and conditions, I agree with him that no one reads them. I tried once, and it only took about 15 seconds before I said “screw this” and just pressed accept.

• He made a comment about the loading times of the updates and it reminded me when we talked about how companies want their websites loading fast for their customers because the faster the websites are the more likely they are to return. The loading speed of a computer is the same way. I used to have a dell laptop, and because it was super slow and there were faster options available, I made the switch.

• Eddie Izzard’s speech about Terms and Conditions is most appealing to the audience because of how factual it is to the common users. However, his speech also brings up a deeper subject, the fact that this modern age is too impatient. Too often we are quick to make decisions in life without fully understanding the repercussions. Our impatience could someday be our demise. Too philosophical? -Benjamin

• We live in a culture that emphasizes immediate gratification, so you hit the nail on the head.

• I read the quote and saw the name Benjamin. I immediately thought of Ben Franklin, until I saw your name. its funny how 10 years ago something taking a few minutes to download was normal and now I expect everything to be downloaded in 10 seconds or less.

• I never knew this person before, but he’s funny and looks like a comedian. I saw in the video how people don’t like waiting updates and how it takes a long time and how it really annoys people with some agreements conditions in a funny way.

• I grew up watching Eddie Izzard clips with my dad so I was actually really excited that it was incorporated into class. I think what makes this clip in particular so funny is how relatable it is. Everyone definitely agrees to any terms and conditions on websites or whatever and there’s no way anyone ever reads it.

• This goes to show how much we blindly trust corporations. While yes, if Apple cheated its customers in a way through terms and conditions everyone would stop buying their products but what about less known and less popular products? This actually relates to an episode in South Park where the users signed a terms and conditions agreement with Apple and to their surprise they signed on for a lot more than they thought. I won’t get into details because it is very crude humor but it was one of my favorite episodes.

• Eddie Izzard really hits the nail on the head here with this bit. The way he describes our desire for updates we know nothing about is truly accurate. Although he puts a funny spin on the topic, I do feel that it is concerning that so many people, myself included, sign away our rights through contracts we don’t even bother reading.

• I really liked this video not only because it was very funny, but also because Eddie Izzard made really good points. He did it in a way using comedy that the people can understand. Looking back on it I don’t think I’ve ever read the term and agreements before accepting them.

• Eddie Izzard is funny! His insistence on how easily anyone agrees with the company’s “terms and conditions” is true. Also, the update time on the device actually does nothing other than making people annoyed. The way Eddie Izzard makes people face to these problems is intelligent and easy to understand.

• I’ve never heard of Eddie Izzard before but he’s so funny! The bit on the updating software was so relatable, it really does take forever for things to download and no one ever reads the details for the new software update. It’s pretty bad that we don’t, but we’ll probably still do it either way.

• Never heard of Eddie before this, but I found it very funny how he took annoying reality and made it funny. Clicking on the blue link and getting nothing to me is worse than the terms and conditions. I agree that every time there is an update I have to agree to that nothing every actually changes.

• Each time I hear these jokes It’s an interesting take on society because It brings to question our learning ability. Online sources allow us to find what we’re looking for fast but disregard the other points and often go on tangents. Education today mirrors this shift. Terms and conditions: not too worried about this. Businesses and people analyze constantly. If controversial, usually it comes out.

• This video made my day! It is hilarious and he’s right about the difference of timing issues and user agreements that pop up every month on a mac. I also like how he mentioned back in the day if someone you knew didn’t know how to make jam you’d let it go. However, nowadays when other people can’t answer our questions, we turn to the internet all the time because we can find anything and everything.

• Eddie Izzard does a fantastic job of explaining modern life situations through humor. He describes current life as an experience like no other in history. With technological upgrades at every forefront, humans have never had this broad of a spectrum of life. New possibilities await in every corner imaginable.

• Eddie Izzard is a very funny comedian. The first time I heard about him was in class, then later I started watching all his videos. I like the way he talks about the modern technology and how people usually react to it, by making it sound funny. It made me laugh when he explains the problem with “terms and conditions” that no one actually reads. I never pay attention to that stuff either because they are usually very long and boring to read.

• Eddie Izzard uses his sense of humor to describe a common scenario that people face a lot – terms and conditions. As of myself, I feel strongly connected with him because I’ve met a lot of terms and conditions whenever there is an update or downloading a new app. However, those terms and conditions are just too wordy and sometimes unnecessary. It’s so true that we all just skip it. As a result, we may be missing some important information such as billing and privacy.

• Watching this video almost makes me sad because I can remember a time when my parents warned me to always read the terms and conditions, and I gave it a try. I like the sentiment of what they were telling me, but it’d truly require a level of insanity for somebody to try to read over every terms and conditions they come across, let alone just one, and due to this, we really don’t know what we are signing up for half the time.

• I totally understand where you are coming from! I definitely felt a little insane reading the terms and conditions once. I understand the purpose but wow! It does make you think about how we are watched a bit more hesitantly than ever before the digital age. I guess it is a great thing for marketers and anyone who needs other data, but yeah – it can be very interesting to read about what you’re actually agreeing to.

• Eddie Izzard point things out in a funny way. In today’s day, most people wouldn’t read the term and condition because it’s too long and too many words. I’m the person who never read the term and condition because I want to save time. The way Eddie Izzard is funny and I like that he talk about the technology in modern day.

• One thing that Izzard touches upon is the absolute trust that we are putting into these large companies that really do not have our best interests at heart. Their priority is making money, yet we are so willing to trust them completely when signing terms and conditions. This is clearly the intention of companies as well, to have us disinterested in the terms and conditions that we sign. They are so filled with legal jargon and length that they are almost unable to be read by the normal person. The question is, why would companies do this?

• I enjoyed how Eddie Izzard used comedy to bring interest a topic that does not sound very appealing at first. In my opinion, I feel as though people would be much more inclined to read the terms and conditions if they were shorter, or if a summary was also included.

• I enjoyed how Eddie taught us the truth in a way of comedy, so it can stick in our minds. The truth that we don’t really understand technology yet we agree with everything it says shows the impact it has in our lives like how dependent we are on it. I, myself, don’t read the terms and conditions and it can say the most insane thing that I unknowingly agreed on which can affect my life later on. Companies often write about how to sue them if a situation occurs in which it benefits them and not the victim.