Information Systems in Organizations

MIS 2101 Sec 001 – Adam Alalouf – Fall 2018

Quantum Computing

A great question was asked about quantum computing today, and this just appeared in my inbox earlier this morning. While this will not be on the exam (!!!) I am sharing it in case you want to understand a bit more about bits and qubits. 

The Long Tail

Read the best article about the long tail by Chris Anderson, an expert who has written extensively about the subject. The article was first published on Wired magazine and is linked here

Hi! I’m Your ITA this Semester.

Hello everyone, I hope your school year is off to a great start. My name is Zois Bouikidis and I will be your ITA this semester for our MIS 2101 class. As someone who has taken the course already, I am here as a resource for you all to leverage so that you can succeed in the class. I am available to assist with questions you may have about your assignments this semester. I am a senior MIS major, so if  you ever have any questions about the MIS program, the business school, or Temple University, I’ll do my best to use my experience to help answer those questions as well.

You can get in contact with me by sending an email to zois.bouikidis@temple.edu, or by coming in during office hours. If you email me, please make sure to include your full name, course number, and section number somewhere in the email. The course number for your class is 2101 and the section is 001.

I plan on holding office hours every Monday from 2:30 PM to 4:00 PM in Alter 602. Stop in for help with assignments or for advice on how to do well in this course! I’m going to include this information in my section of the ‘about’ page as well.

Good luck this year!

Welcome from the Instructor

Hello and welcome to MIS 2101! 

As mentioned in class, we will not use Canvas. Instead, we will use the MIS community site hosted by WordPress. This is not my decision, it is a department decision. All announcements, assignments, and grades will be posted on the site, available here

Take a look and familiarize yourself with the site. You will especially want to get to know the schedule, which has links to all the readings and videos required. Notice that the readings are organized by learning week. You should complete these before the start of the first class each week. This way you will be prepared when you come to class and you will accomplish more in less time (work smarter, not harder). 

You can also download the class slides, and if you hover over the assignments tab, you will see links to each assignment. 

You will find some useful information under course materials, especially the activity packet that you are required to print

Finally, your grades will periodically be posted on the gradebook. Grades are usually posted a few days after an exam. Grading policies are available here. 

Questions? Write them down and bring them to the next class. 

Oh, that activity I handed out at the beginning of class? Complete it and bring your questions to class. 

One last thing — create your own name tag for class. Make it large enough so I can see it from the podium. Instead of raising your hand to ask a question, raise your name tag so I can call you by your name. 

See you Thursday! 

Welcome to MIS2101

Welcome to MIS2101, Information Systems in Organizations.  We will not be using Canvas for this class.  Instead we’ll be using this site which is hosted by Community.MIS.Temple.Edu.  This site is built on WordPress, a world class open-source blogging tool.  As part of completing the assignments in MIS2101 you will gain some experience with WordPress and other technologies.

Unlike most intro courses, this course has no required textbook.  The traditional textbook has been replaced by a collection of readings and videos that are freely available over the Internet.  Another way you will find this class very different than most classes you will take at any university is that this class is “activity based”.  With this type of class there is far less traditional lecture.  We will used the time that is freed up from lectures to complete in-class activities that help students develop a deeper and more genuine understanding of the material that is discussed during our class discussions.

On this site you will find all of the required course materials including the syllabus, links to the assigned readings, links to assigned videos, assignments and access to your grades for the course.  In addition announcements will be made in class and/or on this site so it is important that you check this site regularly for announcements.

Who’s Online

Profile picture of Jaylon Hodge
Profile picture of Mindaugas Uzkurenas
Profile picture of Chris Ko
Profile picture of Diya Devarakonda
Profile picture of Sam Usherenko
Profile picture of Blake Bagdon
March 2024
M T W T F S S