Section 005, Instructor: Shana Pote

Shana Pote

Assignment 2: Analyze a Data Set Using Tableau

Here is the assignment.

Here is the worksheet as a Word document to make it easy to fill in and submit (along with your Tableau file).

And here is the data file you will need to complete the assignment [In-Class Exercise 2.1 – 2015 Car Fuel Econ [Start].xlsx].

When your assignment is complete, you’re going to email both the Word doc (in .docx or .pdf format) AND the Tableau file to me at MIS0855.h6xo7208v2mgk0g6@u.box.com from your Temple email account. If your upload is successful, you’ll receive a confirmation receipt via email from the Temple OwlBox system. SAVE THIS RECEIPT! It is your proof that your submission was submitted, the name of the document, and the time/date of submission.

If you don’t receive a confirmation email, it likely means your submission was not successful. Try again, and contact me if you’re having recurrent issues.

Your assignment must be submitted by 5:30pm, October 5, 2017 to be on time.

Tableau version to download

Class,

Tableau Version 10.x appears to be suitable for the class exercises and assignments, so we’ll be using that version. When you register with Tableau and request your license, they should send you a link where you can download the executable file. Let me know if you have any difficulties with obtaining or installing the software.

Thanks,

Professor Pote

Weekly Question #3: Complete by Sept. 21, 2017

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on September 21, 2017. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

If you sign in using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.

In your opinion, what industries do you see as most affected by data science? Or better yet what industries do you see has most likely to be disrupted by big data/data science/analytics? How do you see data science affecting your career? Relate your observation to the class material if you can and what I outlined for media.

Reading Quiz #3: Complete by Sept. 21, 2017

Some quick instructions:

• You must complete the quiz by the start of class on September 21, 2017.  The quiz is based on the readings for the whole week.
  • When you click on the link, you may see a Google sign in screen. Use your AccessNet ID and password to sign in. It will then take you to the quiz.
    If it says you don’t have access, make sure you’re signed out of your regular Gmail (non-TUMail) account!
  • You can only do the quiz once. If you submit multiple times, I’ll only use the first (oldest) one.
  • This is “open book” – you can use the articles to answer the questions – but do not get help from anyone else.

Ready? Take the quiz by clicking this link.

Take Home: In-Class Exercise 2.2: Finding Sources of Data

As discussed in class on Thursday, please comment on this post with the following:

• What dataset did you find
  • Where did you find it
  • Why did you think it was interesting
  • What did you learn from the data
  • How could you use the data or what decisions could you make based on it

Please post your comments before class on Thursday, September 14, 2017.

Office Hours

Shana Pote
shana.pote@temple.edu

Alter Hall 232
Class time: 5:30-8pm, Thursdays
Office hours: Thursdays, 1 hour before class, or by appointment.