Section 005, Instructor: Shana Pote

Shana Pote

Reading Quiz #5: Complete by Oct. 12, 2017

Some quick instructions:

• You must complete the quiz by the start of class on October 12, 2017.
  • When you click on the link, you may see a Google sign in screen. Use your AccessNet ID and password to sign in. It will then take you to the quiz.
    If it says you don’t have access, make sure you’re signed out of your regular Gmail (non-TUMail) account!
  • You can only do the quiz once. If you submit multiple times, I’ll only use the first (oldest) one.
  • This is “open book” – you can use the articles to answer the questions – but do not get help from anyone else.

Ready? Take the quiz by clicking this link.

Weekly Question #5: Complete by Oct. 12, 2017

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on October 12, 2017. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

Here is the question:

Just like you did about a month ago, find another online article dated within last two weeks from a credible source that has something to do with data and is interesting and relevant to you. Copy and paste the URL directly into your response followed by a few sentences that explain what is interesting about it.

Assignment 4: Data Visualization (Temple Analytics Challenge)

Here is the assignment.   It is due by midnight on October 31, 2017. But start early!

When your assignment is complete, you’re going to email both .PDF files to me at MIS0855.h6xo7208v2mgk0g6@u.box.com from your Temple email account. If your upload is successful, you’ll receive a confirmation receipt via email from the Temple OwlBox system. SAVE THIS RECEIPT! It is your proof that your submission was submitted, the name of the document, and the time/date of submission.

If you don’t receive a confirmation email, it likely means your submission was not successful. Try again, and contact me if you’re having recurrent issues.

Want extra credit? Enter your deliverable in the Temple Analytics Challenge! You don’t need to do anything more to the assignment except submit it to the competition and you could win up to $2,500!

Extra Credit – In-Class Exercise 5.2: Creating Infographics

As discussed in class on Thursday, this exercise will be granted 2 points extra credit towards your total grade, if you complete and email it to my OwlBox (MIS0855.h6xo7208v2mgk0g6@u.box.com) before class on October 5.

Here is the exercise.

And here is the graphic file you’ll need: Philadelphia Area Obesity Rates.png.

Right-click on the file and save it to your computer.

Study Guide for Exam 1

Here is the study guide for the first midterm exam. Exam review is the first 90 minutes of class on October 5 (or until you run out of questions), followed by a short break, and then the 50-minute exam period.

Format for review is:

• Unstructured, for my part. I do not have an agenda for topics to cover. I will field questions as you ask them, but only if you ask them.
  • I won’t answer questions like “what’s going to be on the exam”.
  • Conceptually, the following are subject for valid questions:
    • Anything on the study guide
    • Anything from the readings
    • Anything from the slides and in-class activities
    • Anything from the Assignments
    • Anything from the quizzes and weekly questions
  • When the questions stop or we reach 90 minutes, exam review will end.
  • On the matter of questions:
    • There are no dumb questions.
    • Don’t self-censor. Ask your question, and leave it to me to determine if it’s one I’m inclined to answer, discuss, or if it’s too close to the “what’s on the exam” slant to respond to.
    • Remember if you have the question, likelihood is someone else does too, and they’ll probably thank you for asking it.
    • And lastly, do come to class with questions in hand.

Suggested study approach:

• Review the Study Guide first, then:
  • Start with the slides
    • Look at the major concepts
    • Where a slide is associated with a reading, review the reading that covers the major concept
    • Understand how the reading is associated with the slide, and the reading’s key concepts
  • Then look at the quizzes
    • Review the questions and answers to the quizzes
    • Understand where all the answers came from, review those readings
  • Then review the In-Class Exercises
    • If we did it in an exercise, it’s probably important.
    • Focus on topics we emphasized in the Exercises.
  • Then, review your Assignments.
  • Lastly, re-read any readings you didn’t review in the prior study steps.

What will be on the exam, in order of likelihood, are:

• Things we talked about explicitly in class
  • Slides, and readings directly associated with them
  • Things I quizzed you on
  • Things we worked on in class through the exercises
  • Things you used while completing Assignments
  • Other things from readings that may not have otherwise been emphasized in class discussion or readings

More Open Data examples on the Internet

As a follow up to Module 1, we talked about a few examples of open data. Here are some others you might want to check out throughout the course. Consider how having these data sets freely available to the public might transform various industries:

Weekly Question #4: Complete by Sept. 28, 2017

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on September 28, 2017. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

Here is the question:

Take a look at the Hoven article from this week (“Stephen Few on Data Visualization: 8 Core Principles”). Which one of the eight principles do you think is most important? Why?

Reading Quiz #4: Complete by Sept. 28, 2017

Some quick instructions:

• You must complete the quiz by the start of class on September 28, 2017.
  • When you click on the link, you may see a Google sign in screen. Use your AccessNet ID and password to sign in. It will then take you to the quiz.
    If it says you don’t have access, make sure you’re signed out of your regular Gmail (non-TUMail) account!
  • You can only do the quiz once. If you submit multiple times, I’ll only use the first (oldest) one.
  • This is “open book” – you can use the articles to answer the questions – but do not get help from anyone else.

Ready? Take the quiz by clicking this link.

Office Hours

Shana Pote
shana.pote@temple.edu

Alter Hall 232
Class time: 5:30-8pm, Thursdays
Office hours: Thursdays, 1 hour before class, or by appointment.