MIS2101 Section 702 – Amy Lavin – Spring 2014

DIGITAL DIVIDE: WHAT CAN BE DONE ABOUT IT???

The digital divide is becoming a greater issue in cities across the country due to our fast growing digital society.  How can we lessen the digital divide,  or is the digital divide the inevitable in our society today?  Read this article and answer these three questions.   RISE OF INTERNET LEARNING CREATES DIGITAL DIVIDE

1. Should city/state and or the federal government make it a top priority to provide low-income families with school aged children free or low-income internet access and lap tops/PC’s?
  2. Temple University recycles computers and sells them to students/employees for a minimal cost.  Should Temple University expand the sale of the recycled computers to the surrounding community as a way of helping the digital divide?
  3. Kevin Hart donated 500 computers to Philadelphia’s schools and recreation centers.  What can we do to bring awareness to the cause of digital divide so that people like Kevin Hart will take note of the need in this digital society and give back to the cities inner city schools, recreation centers and libraries? 

12 Responses to DIGITAL DIVIDE: WHAT CAN BE DONE ABOUT IT???

• I agree with Greenville’s County School District Director Jeff McCoy. He says “there is no way around the lack of a home broadband connection being a disadvantage among the have-nots.” There are so many have-nots that the schools district is unable to support. Therefore, as mentioned, it is a good thing that computer labs are available before and after school as well as libraries and Wi-Fi hotspots. It sounds like a very good concept that Greenville is using and it also has contributed to the declined in student academic frustration. All students do not learn the same, but it seems to be working for them at Hillcrest High School.
    However, on a scope larger than Greenville, there has to be a solution to this because there should not be a have-not in education.

• I surprisingly got an answer to my first question last night during the President’s speech. He stated that he pledged to connect 99% of students to high speed broadband internet. Mr. President also said that they have their first down payment and with the support of the FCC, Apple, Microsoft, Sprint and Verizon 15,000 schools and 20 million students will benefit from this. Needless to say that I was very happy to hear this. Additionally, the president’s focus is on making sure our children get the education that is needed in this day and time; focusing on Math, Technology and Engineering. I am hoping that we are heading in the right direction and hoping that the direction of the digital divide changes. The digital divide is very important to me.

• #1 – Providing students with internet access and hardware should become a mandatory part of the education curriculum. This is not a passing fad. People will be in a serious disadvantage if they do not know how to use everyday programs and applications. Employers expect people to have these skills. Internet access and the use of hardware at home should be just as important as teaching Math.
    #2 – I think that is a great idea for Temple to open up programs to the community, It shows that they want to be a part of the community and enrich it.
    #3 – Using the internet is a great way to bring attention to the cause. Everyone is connected to someone who knows someone. When it gets attention, it hits the media, and it gets support.

• A great article to demonstrate the digital divide, Robin! It is true that digital literacy is almost a requirement of society today – and if it isn’t completely yet, it will be in the near future! Temple actually donates quite a bit of equipment and services to neighboring communities – we will talk about it a little tonight in class.

• 1. Even though the digital divide is getting enormous, I do not believe it is the government’s responsibility to fill the gap. It is the responsibility of the parents to provide the tools their children need to learn and succeed in their education. I personally know of several families that do not own computers or iPads because they say they cannot afford it but they have cable. However, come tax time they are buying big screen televisions, designer handbags, and taking trips to Las Vegas. The sad commentary is that the parents can afford a computer and Internet but they do not see how it benefits them.
    2. That is a good idea but realistically if the program was expanded to the community would they take advantage of the opportunity. I do not think so. For example, three years ago I had three pc’s and a laptop. When my son moved out and did not take his pc because he purchased a new one. I was selling the pc (which was 2 years old), desk, chair, and printer for $300 to one of my neighbors who has five children. Her response was, that was too much money. The very next day after our conversation, she went to the hair salon and had her hair done that cost her $180. Until the day she moved, I allowed her two oldest children to come over and use the pc to do their home and research projects.
    3. Comcast also offer’s a special program that offers Internet at a substantially low price, for low-income families that have children enrolled in the public school.

• Technology and digital literacy is high demand in every single family. My parents know how to use Tango and Facebook to communicate with their relatives oversea, and my children have more than half homework online everyday. Future is nearly sure to require technology and digital. Therefore, government should offer free internet and computer for low income family who can’t afford for digital devices . Businesses can provide fund for the government, and get in touch with consumers in return. Furthermore, American schools should not only provide computer lab and IT classes, they should also prepare students to avoid cyber bullying. In my community, temples and schools provide complementary computers classes for adults who lack skills on computer and digital, and parents meeting to teach parents how to handle cyber bullying and bully.

• The new digital divide has to be eliminated or diminished as much as possible. It is a matter of protecting America’s economic future. Many years from now, the people who do not have internet access today, will be a great part of the work force. In order to be competitive in the global economy, every American has to have high-speed wired access to the Internet for a reasonable cost.

• I agree with Uyen! However, I feel the responsibility in the near term falls on the city/state government. Philadelphia in particular is taking a turn for the worst and it is really letting a lot of children down included the under-privileged. They don’t even have acceptable schools to attend. Case in point: An article in Philadelphia Mag:
    .
    And I quote: Education remains the single best lever the city has to break the back of generational poverty, just as it has always been. But the consequences of substandard educations for low-income students are growing ever more grave in an economy where factory jobs and decent pay for unskilled work are all but extinct.” This also coincides with Professor Lavin’s Article. Which basically states that lack of technology created the digital divide and as a result these children will only have the option of working in poor quality jobs with far less pay.
    Something must be done and soon!

• 1. Should city/state and or the federal government make it a top priority to provide low income families with school aged children free or low income internet access and lap tops/pc’s?
    Yes, city/state and or the federal government should make a priority to invest highly in school aged children education by providing free internet access and subsidizing chipper computers for its low income citizens.
    2. Temple University recycles computers and sells them to students/employees for a minimal cost. Should Temple University expand the sale of the recycled computers to the surrounding community as a way of helping the digital divide? .
    Yes, I believe Temple University should expand the sale of the recycled computers to the surrounding community as a way of helping the digital divide. Specially, since Temple university is located in a very poor neighborhood, it will be a good idea to expand its service to the community.
    3. In 2013, Kevin Hart donated 500 computers to Philadelphia’s schools and recreation centers. What can we do to bring awareness to the cause of digital divide so that people like Kevin Hart will take note of the need in this digital society and give back to the cities inner city schools, recreation centers and libraries?
    We can always demonstrate for such needs and ask or write to other companies and people like Kevin Hart to donate excess or used computers to school libraries and recreation centers.

• 1. Should city/state and or the federal government make it a top priority to provide low-income families with school aged children free or low-income internet access and lap tops/PC’s?
    Although it seems to be beneficial since the article stated an increase in student learning, I don’t feel it should be a priority. There are many public libraries and also parts of the school that are available for students to access. I think it is a lot of money to put it in each persons home, and I feel it would be abused for personal use.

2. Temple University recycles computers and sells them to students/employees for a minimal cost. Should Temple University expand the sale of the recycled computers to the surrounding community as a way of helping the digital divide?
    I think this is a great idea! I think by selling to the community or even donating a few would be beneficial to the person receiving as well as the image for the university.

3. Kevin Hart donated 500 computers to Philadelphia’s schools and recreation centers. What can we do to bring awareness to the cause of digital divide so that people like Kevin Hart will take note of the need in this digital society and give back to the cities inner city schools, recreation centers and libraries?
    Social media has become a huge growing outlet for our young community. maybe we can advertise to other students in better financial situations to donate old devices. Although I see that technology is becoming more prevalent in the school curriculum I think it should still be viewed as a helping tool not a disability. There are many people who learned though out the past who did not have these tech advantages and they turned out great. Honestly there are many people in the world with a lot money to give, but they won’t unless it is something they feel passionate towards.

As much as I agree with the ideology of having access to the internet for everyone. At the same time we cannot know that it will be used for an educational use. Many individuals today abuse the internet if you ask me. Whether it be for shopping of social media. There are various means of obtaining information in todays age from public libraries to the news.

I think it is a great idea enabling individuals the ability to purchase a computer at a discounted price. It enables the families that are not able to afford a computer the ability to know have access to the world wide web.

In todays day and age social media and various internet outlets enable we the people to broadcast issues in such a manner that it will reach a larger audience. By consistently broadcasting a cause I believe we can reach various influential figures and as Kevin Hart demonstrated all we need is the news to reach the right individual to spark that interest. A large number of influential individuals can relate to us at some part in there lives if we can inspire them to give back the possibilities are endless.