MIS2101 Section 702 – Amy Lavin – Spring 2014

Social Media at Work: The New Facebook

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304459804577285354046601614

After reading the article,

1. Do you think social media networks like Jive and Yammer can replace email in the workplace?

2. Do you think specialized social media networks are necessary? Why wouldn’t a corporation be able to accomplish the same thing on Facebook and Twitter?

3. What are some potential pitfalls to consider when utilizing social media in the office?

6 Responses to Social Media at Work: The New Facebook

• I do not think social media networks like Jive and Yammer can replace email in the workplace. There will be times when you just want to get an email message to someone quick and easy. With all of the social media at our disposal, there are still some people who do not wish to create profiles, follow people and check their status updates. However, social media networks like Jive and Yammer will be very useful for companies to have in place so that customers can call and identify who does what and get help quick.

Specialized social media networks are not necessary, but if you want your business to have a more organized structure where you could find out the progress of sales, marketing, projections, etc. at a click of a button instead of scheduling a meeting, then it makes it necessary to have.

There are some potential pitfalls to consider when utilizing social media in the office such as, privacy, running the risk of being labeled by your co-workers, being too relaxed with compromising pics that are posted and potentially be passed up for promotion. There is also a possibility of being too comfortable using social media at work that the daily job duties could be neglected. I do not see how social media in the workplace would help increase productivity. However, I do think social media can be used in a positive or negative way depending on the mind-set of the person using it.

• 1. Do you think social media networks like Jive and Yammer can replace email in the workplace?
    I don’t think these networks will ever full replace email. They seem to be formatted for more casual interaction so email is still needed when making a more formal announcement to all employees. I also think these tools seem beneficial for employee communication to each other but email can still be used with outside sources.

Although facebook has some business features, it is typically used for social reasons. I think it is a lot more productive for employees to have social and work separate with its own media network. I also think a specialized network would allow for changes and features to better help the specific business. For example the video showed how they can make groups to collaborate on ideas within the company, a specialized network might allow for easier file sharing.

One downside is the worry that people might socialize instead of being productive. I know some companies incorporate a chat feature to their employees and unless it is monitored it can be abused. Another downside is that for those who are not so computer savvy, maybe the older generation would have a hard time adapting to the new technology.

• I think this is a great idea – would it replace email, I don’t know – maybe? I am sure that people thought the fax would never be replaced – or the handwritten memo in an interoffice envelope, but think about how many of those you see now. It may happen gradually but I could buy it. Especially if you think about an outlet like Box.com or facebook where you can share files, make updates, add comments, etc… I am currently part of an email chain that makes my head spin, the emails are lengthy and hard to follow. A group would be a much better venue for something like that!

I don’t know that social media networks like Jive and Yammer can replace e-mail in the workplace. I use e-mail to cover my ___ and I don’t know if the social media site would do the same thing. I also get the feeling that this is only for the internal workforce. E-mail would still need to be used to communicate with the outside world. It may take over internal e-mails but definitely not e-mail all together.

I don’t think that specialized social media networks are necessary. It would make things easier, it seems, but they are not necessary. The same thing could not be done through Facebook and Twitter because they are public and you wouldn’t want all that information out in the public eye.

Some pitfalls are that the employees would use it inappropriately. They would use it more for social reasons than work reasons. Also, if someone was to make derogatory comments about someone else on it, it may cause problems.

• I think a combination of email and social media is the future. An excellent example is Microsoft’s Social Connector. It is a free add-in that I mentioned in class and have provided the link. So, in my opinion a combination of email and social is the way. I won’t speak to the future of email because the next best thing may just not have been thought up yet.

• I feel that social media will replace e-mail at work. The challenge is to use the social media for work purposes and not to become distracted with personal social media, especially while you are at work. This social media helps to communicate quicker especially while out of the production floor. But, I see more and more people using personal social media while then they should be working.