Networks represent a large portion of our digital infrastructure; nearly every application and device relies on the network, and most organizations require access to resources on the Internet. In this course, will look at networks and telecommunications in two sections. We begin in this unit exploring the various protocols and standards used in networking, and why they are important. In the next section, we will look at methods of securing our network infrastructure.
We will review physical and logical network topologies and devices common in local area and wide area networks, including routers, switches, telecom devices, and various network services.
This week’s topics:
- ISO OSI
- Topologies and Cabling
- Routing / Switching
- Wired and Wireless Network Technologies
In this unit, plan to:
- Read: pages 431-458 in the Network Security text
- Read: pages 381-405 in the Security Essentials text
- Complete: this week’s written assignment
- Complete: this week’s practical assignments
- Participate: in the weekly discussion forum