There are two types of software in our IT infrastructure: systems software and applications software. In this section, we will discuss systems software, which includes operating systems and utilities. Applications software, which we will discuss in the next section, include many of the services provided through IT infrastructure, such as DNS, email, web, databases, etc.
We will look at how operating systems work, and how they can be vulnerable to attack.
This week’s topics:
- Operating Systems
- Windows Security
- Linux/Unix Security
- Server Security
- Threats and Countermeasures
In this unit, plan to:
- Read: pages 145-253 in the Network Security text
- Read: pages 88-89 in the Security Essentials text
- Complete: this week’s written assignment
- Finish: last week’s practical assignment
- Participate: in the weekly discussion forum