I use quantitative methods to answer questions related to information technologies. A broad agenda of my research is to use real-world data to analyze firm and consumer behavior in online markets, with primary interests in two research areas – (1) electronic commerce and online marketing, and (2) online two-sided markets and economics of platforms. My research uses interdisciplinary approaches that include field experiment, econometrics, Bayesian Statistics, structural modeling, and text mining techniques.
- Gong, Jing, Abhishek, Vibhanshu, and Li, Beibei (2018) Examining the Impact of Keyword Ambiguity on Search Advertising Performance: A Topic Model Approach. MIS Quarterly, 42(3), pp. 805-829. (SSRN)
- CIST 2014 (Best Student Paper Award), CSWIM 2014 (Best Paper Award Nomination), WCBI 2014, Marketing Science Conference 2014
- Gong, Jing, Hong, Yili, and Zentner, Alejandro (2018) Role of Monetary Incentives in the Digital and Physical Inter-Border Labor Flows. Journal of Management Information Systems, 35(3), pp. 866-899. (SSRN)
- HICSS 2018
- Gong, Jing, Smith, Michael D., and Telang, Rahul (2015) Substitution or Promotion? The Impact of Price Discounts on Cross-Channel Sales of Digital Movies, Journal of Retailing, 91(2), pp. 343-357.
- WISE 2013
Papers Under Review
- Uber Might Buy Me a Mercedes Benz: An Empirical Investigation of Sharing Platforms and Durable Goods Purchase (with Brad N Greenwood and Yiping Song; invited for 3rd round revision at Management Science) (SSRN)
- WCBA 2017, CSWIM 2017, Platform Strategy Research Symposium 2017 (poster), NBER Summer Workshop 2017 (poster), CIST 2017 and INFORMS Annual Meeting 2017
- On Using the Lottery in Crowdfunding Platforms: Implications for Project Success and Backer Behavior (with Zuyin (Alvin) Zheng and Paul Pavlou; invited for 3rd round revision at Information Systems Research) (SSRN)
- SCECR 2017, CIST 2017, ICIS 2017
- The JOBS Act and Securities-Based Crowdfunding by Startups (with Jayanthi Krishnan and Yi Liang; invited for 2nd round revision at The Accounting Review)
- Enhancing the “Call for Bids” to Improve Matching Efficiency: Evidence from Online Labor Markets (with Xue Guo and Paul Pavlou, under review at Management Science)
- INFORMS Annual Meeting 2016, ICIS 2017, WITS 2017, CIST 2018
- Monetary Incentives, Online Reviews, and Product Sales: An Empirical Investigation (with Shuting ‘Ada’ Wang and Paul Pavlou, preparing for resubmission)
- ICIS 2016
- Onsite Retargeting: A Large-Scale Randomized Field Experiment (with Dimitrios Tsekouras and Ting Li; preparing for submission)
- CSWIM 2017, SCECR 2017, ICIS 2017
- A Two-Sided Matching Approach for Online Labor Platforms (Solo author; preparing for submission) (SSRN)
- WITS 2015, Marketing Science Conference 2016, Platform Strategy Research Symposium 2016 (poster), CIST 2016 (poster)
- Competitive Poaching in Search Advertising (with Siddharth Bhattacharya and Sunil Wattal, preparing for submission)
- CIST 2017, CODE@MIT 2017, WISE 2017, Marketing Science Conference 2018, SCECR 2018
- No Longer Rolling Dirty: How Purchase Subsidies for Electronic Vehicles Affect Automobile Market (with Xi Wu, Brad N Greenwood, and Yiping Song)
- Creation or Destruction? U.S Visa Policies and Employment of Skilled Information Technology Professionals (with Xue Guo and Min-Seok Pang)
- Gong, Jing, Yili (Kevin) Hong, and Alejandro Zentner (2018) “Vanishing Borders in the Internet Age: The Income Elasticity of the Supply of Foreign Labor in Virtual versus Physical Markets.” 2018 Proceedings of the Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS-51), Hawaii.
- Zheng, Zuyin (Alvin), Jing Gong, and Paul Pavlou (2017). “Investing or Gambling? Empirical Evidence on the Role of the Lottery in Reward-based Crowdfunding Platforms.” 2017 Proceedings of the International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), Seoul, South Korea.
- Guo, Xue, Jing Gong, and Paul Pavlou (2017). “Call for Bids to Improve Matching Efficiency: Evidence from Online Labor Markets.” 2017 Proceedings of the International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), Seoul, South Korea.
- Tsekouras, Dimitrios, Ting Li, and Jing Gong (2017). “Onsite Retargeting: A Randomized Field Experiment.” 2017 Proceedings of the International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), Seoul, South Korea.
- Wang, Shuting (Ada), Paul Pavlou, and Jing Gong (2016). “Monetary Incentives, Online Reviews, and Product Sales: An Empirical Investigation.” 2016 Proceedings of the International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), Dublin, Ireland.
- Gong, Jing, Vibhanshu Abhishek, and Beibei Li (2014). “Perils of Uncertainty? The Impact of Contextual Ambiguity on Search Advertising Keyword Performance.” 2014 Proceedings of the International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), Auckland, New Zealand.