The Fox School’s Management Information Systems department was founded in 2000. Dean M. Moshe Porat formed the department to support the three strategic pillars of the Fox school, entrepreneurship, globalization, and information technology. Dr. Munir Mandviwalla, founded the MIS department and currently serves as department chair. The Fox School’s MIS department is one of the youngest business oriented IT academic units in the U.S.
The vision of Fox MIS is to be a worldwide leader in trans-formative research and teaching on the design, use, and effects of information technology in a digital world.
The research mission is to produce knowledge that fundamentally transforms the design and use of information technology by integrating multi-disciplinary perspectives. The teaching mission is to prepare a diverse and changing population for a life-long pursuit of learning, leadership, and success with information technology in a connected world. Our objectives include:
- To generate ground breaking research by drawing on diverse theories, methods, and approaches.
- To draw upon research to inform forward thinking professionals to design, implement, and lead innovative uses of information technology in organizations and markets.
- To offer theoretically informed, experiential, and collaborative education on the innovative and ethical design, development, and application of information technology.
- Fox BBA in MIS ranked in the top 20 by U.S. News and World Report for 2013
- AIS receives Outstanding Chapter Award for the third year in a row for 2012
- Fox MIS students dominate 2012 AIS competition
- Fox MBA in Information Technology Management ranked in the top 25 in the nation by U.S. News and World Report for 2012
- Fox BBA in MIS ranked in the top 20 in the nation by U.S. News and World Report for 2012
- FoxMIS ranked number 1 for research worldwide in 2010 and number 3 in 2011
- TechRepublic ranked the Fox BBA in MIS a top 10 U.S. program in 2008/2009
- The Chronicle of Higher Education ranked Fox MIS in the top 10 for research in 2007/2008
- Named “2001 Program of the Year” by Eastern Technology Council (represents about 1100 IT firms)
- Fox “Techno/MBA” ranked 14th By Computerworld in 1999/2000
View the brief presentation below to quickly learn about the 10 year accomplishments of Fox MIS.
The Fox School’s MIS department offers undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs in information systems and includes more than 650 majors and minors and 16 faculty members. The associated Institute for Business and Information Technology (IBIT) connects students and faculty with industry leaders through a membership structure, and provides project and professional development opportunities. More information at: http://ibit.temple.edu/.