The Fox School’s Management Information Systems department was founded in 2000. Dean M. Moshe Porat formed the department to support the three strategic pillars of the Fox school, entrepreneurship, globalization, and information technology. Dr. Munir Mandviwalla, founded the MIS department and currently serves as Department Chair. Professor Martin Doyle is Assistant Chair. The Fox School’s MIS department is one of the youngest business oriented IT academic units in the U.S.
The vision of Fox MIS is to be a worldwide leader in trans-formative research and teaching on the design, use, and effects of information technology in a digital world.
The research mission is to produce knowledge that fundamentally transforms the design and use of information technology by integrating multi-disciplinary perspectives. The teaching mission is to prepare a diverse and changing population for a life-long pursuit of learning, leadership, and success with information technology in a connected world. Our objectives include:
- To generate ground breaking research by drawing on diverse theories, methods, and approaches.
- To draw upon research to inform forward thinking professionals to design, implement, and lead innovative uses of information technology in organizations and markets.
- To offer theoretically informed, experiential, and collaborative education on the innovative and ethical design, development, and application of information technology.
Fox MIS connects and innovates:
- Fox BBA in MIS ranked in the top 15 (again!) by US News and World Report for 2015.
- Fox MIS named ‘a major national player’ by review team.
- Student chapter wins big again at the 2014 AIS International Student Leadership Conference and Competition
- Fox MIS ranked number 1 in the world for research for publications in top journals (2009-2013).
- Fox MIS launches first ever university wide data science course for 2014
- AIS receives ‘chapter-of-the-year’ award for 2013
- Fox BBA in MIS ranked in the top 15 by U.S. News and World Report for 2014
- Student chapter sweeps 2013 AIS International Student Leadership Conference and Competition
- Fox MIS ranked number 1 in the world for research for 2012
- Fox BBA in MIS ranked in the top 20 by U.S. News and World Report for 2013
- AIS receives Outstanding Chapter Award for the third year in a row for 2012
- Fox MIS students dominate 2012 AIS competition
- Fox MBA in Information Technology Management ranked in the top 25 in the nation by U.S. News and World Report for 2012
- Fox BBA in MIS ranked in the top 20 in the nation by U.S. News and World Report for 2012
- FoxMIS ranked number 1 for research worldwide in 2010 and number 3 in 2011
- Fox MIS leads creation of AIS student chapters worldwide, Fox MIS student organization inducted as the first ever AIS student chapter in 2009
- TechRepublic ranked the Fox BBA in MIS a top 10 U.S. program in 2008/2009
- Fox MIS hosts inaugural AIS student chapter conference, April 2009
- The Chronicle of Higher Education ranked Fox MIS in the top 10 for research in 2007/2008
- Named “2001 Program of the Year” by Eastern Technology Council (represents about 1100 IT firms)
- Fox “Techno/MBA” ranked 14th By Computerworld in 1999/2000
Fox MIS Newsletters
- December 2014
- September 2014
- April 2014
- February 2014
- March 2013
- April 2012
- February 2011
- March 2010
The presentation below summarizes how Fox MIS went from zero to number 1 in the world.
The presentation below celebrates the 10 year anniversary of Fox MIS.
The Fox School’s MIS department offers undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs in information systems and includes more than 750 majors and minors and 24 faculty members and staff. The associated Institute for Business and Information Technology (IBIT) connects students and faculty with industry leaders through a membership structure, and provides project and professional development opportunities. More information at: http://ibit.temple.edu/.