A minor in MIS provides undergraduate students the ability to identify, select, use, and apply information technology (IT) to their major field of study. The minor provides the skills and terminology needed to become a knowledgable user of IT in the business world and interact successfully with technology professionals in an organization.
I chose MIS as minor because we live in such a data-driven world, and in the accounting profession it is so important to know how obtain, analyze, and present data to deliver value to clients. A minor in MIS helped me differentiate myself and helped me improve my communication skills.
Louis Rosetti, Accounting major, MIS minor
WHO SHOULD MINOR IN MIS?
Business students will benefit from a minor in MIS. The minor in MIS will position you for jobs in business application areas, consulting positions, technical liaisons, and selling and acquisition of business software.
A minor in MIS has complemented my actuarial skills with the knowledge of beneficial technologies and applications like Tableau, RStudio, and SQL. Being familiar with these tools helped me stand out during interviews.
Oleksandr Nikipielov, Actuarial Science major, MIS minor
WHAT IS IN IT FOR ME?
- Understand the key information technologies used by organizations.
- Learn how to specify technology solutions and engage with IT professionals.
- Understand the importance of business processes
- Identify how specific IT solutions are designed and implemented to increase efficiency and effectiveness.
- Apply data analytics to collect, store, analyze, and disseminate organizational information.
The MIS community is incredibly supportive. Whether you’re a major or minor in this program you will receive the same encouragement. I knew I wanted to become an MIS minor when introduced to cloud computing through Salesforce. This topic ignited a world of opportunities through a new passion!
Cassandra Murphy, Marketing major, MIS minor
More information, including course numbers, full course descriptions, and prerequisites, is available through the Temple Bulletin.
- Digital Systems (prerequisite to start minor)
- Data and Analytics (also required for majors)
- Digital Design and Innovation
Electives (select one)
- Data Science (also fulfills GenEd Science and Technology (GS) requirement)
- Cloud Architecture
- Defending Against Cyber Crime
- Electronic Commerce Site Design
- Strategic Management of Information Technology
- Information Systems Innovation
- Internet Enabled Supply Chains
- Social Media Innovation
- Special Topics in MIS
- Co-Operative Experience in MIS
Note: Some electives may have special pre-requisites, check the pre-requisites before registering.
HOW TO SIGN UP FOR THE MINOR
To take courses for the MIS minor you must first declare your intent to minor in MIS. If you are not a School of Business student then you will also need to take the Business minor.
For more information, please refer to the MIS Minor in the Undergraduate Bulletin.