- Job function (e.g., overall role, assigned tasks)
- I worked as an intern in Highmark’s IT Dispatch and Triage Department. Some of my main tasks were updating their on-call playbook for system issues, facilitating team meetings, and assisting the team during their ticket software transition from Service Manager to Cherwell.
- Examples of projects (e.g., list the projects you worked on and what you accomplished)
- I created and ran an employee wellness program that encouraged employees to practice healthy habits during their daily life and to focus on creating goals and improving their use of healthy habits.
- I identified an opportunity for a process improvement in their new hire training process. New hires did not have a good understanding of who each team member was, what their role is, and who they should ask about certain projects. To fix this, I created a new organization chart that listed main responsibilities and roles, as well as a an updated organization map in a tree format.
- I recognized that their on call playbook format was very inefficient, collaborated with other interns to create a new format, and transitioned all of the data from the old format to the new format.
- What you learned and how it relates to your major (e.g., describe what you learned from this experience in the context of specific courses)
- This internship gave me a real life example of what it’s like when an organization makes a big change, like transitioning ticketing software. They also were looking to be more of a product management company, as opposed to a project management company. This is very relevant to the classes I’m taking, especially MIS3535. I also learned how IT and healthcare work together, especially with healthcare IT systems. This was mainly through my work with their on-call playbook. I experienced real life system issues and how they impacted customers.
- Once approved, the description is automatically displayed in a post on your e-portfolio.