2010 NYC SAT Results API
The goal of this project was to design a functional webpage, which integrated data from a researched API. At first, it was quite difficult to find a third-party API online with a public dataset and API key. After speaking to my professor about my conflict, he suggested using NYC OpenData. This site contains free public data published by agencies and partners in the New York City region. I found the 2010 SAT (College Board) School Level Results. Along with the dataset, the site provided me with an API key and essential JSON documentation. I recalled taking the SAT and began wanting to seek out the correlations in the data when implementing a functional chart.
I began by developing the HTML code. I was able to integrate the functions we learned in class for creating the summary table and the CSS. I used a for loop to go through the whole dataset, retrieving the information required for the chart. Throughout the process, I levered debugging tools through the console, to fix the errors I ran into. After some time, I completed the HTML and CSS of the site. I then moved on to the line chart, which compared the ten greatest amount of test-takers with the ten lowest amount of test-takers. Although this step took a few days, making use of the resources that were taught to us in class was greatly beneficial. Creating the line chart using the summary table allowed me to find out that a greater amount of test-takers resulted in a higher total average SAT score.