MIS2101 Section 702 – Amy Lavin – Spring 2014

AVON’s failed SAP implementation.

AVON incorporates a new management order system for its processes but shut it down after employees found it difficult to use and it disrupted operations.SAP refuses to take full blame for this pointing out the fact that their software is “woking perfectly as designed despite any issues with implementing it”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/benkepes/2013/12/17/avons-failed-sap-implementation-a-perfect-example-of-enterprise-it-revolution/

1. Do you think an enterprise software is efficient or ” working perfectly as designed”  if the end user cannot use it?

2.If enterpise software is going to keep up with the way the world is moving, do you think it will get easier to use or will it get more detailed and complicated to use

3. Are people less patient with technology more now than they were in past years?

9 Responses to AVON’s failed SAP implementation.

• 1.Do I think an enterprise software is efficient or “working perfectly as designed” if the end user cannot use it? Any software can have flaws so I do not think that it all works perfectly as designed. On the other hand, it can also be a problem on the side of the company.

2.If enterprise software is going to keep up with the way the world is moving, do you think it will get easier to use or will it get more detailed and complicated to use? I think it depends on the system and the people using it. In some cases it is the user who has problems adapting, and other cases it could be the way the software was implemented. The systems are created to perform certain tasks, but you wonder sometimes who test the systems before they go live. Therefore, the kinks are not always ironed out.

3.Are people less patient with technology more now than they were in the past years? Yes, I believe so. It has become a microwave society. People want results in seconds. If an APP, internet connection, or a download page does not open within seconds, people get very frustrated. Therefore, when the system does not work it makes tasks at work harder to perform and employees get inpatient.

• If the end product is not able to be used by the end consumer than it does not work. If a company is hired to implement an ERP system for a client then it is the company’s responsibility to provide a product that the client can use and provide the necessary training and instructions to the client to make the implementation smoother.

I believe that with technological advancements, ERP systems will continue to become easier to use. Right now, many systems, like SAP, are based on queries and drilling down into accounts. I believe that these systems will eventually move towards something like the semantic web that is based more on how the human mind thinks. This will make the process easier to comprehend, therefore, making the ERP more effective.

People are absolutely less patient with technology than in previous generations. Older generations that grew up for decades are more patient than the current generation entering the work force. The kids entering the workforce have grown up with technology in every aspect of their lives and it has become exponentially faster year after year. They will continue to expect this rapid growth in technology because that is all they have ever grown up with which will lead to impatience with newer technology.

• I think a system can be working as designed even if the end user can not use it. The issue could be that the software was not actually compatible to the company installing it, in which case it is a failure of management to find the right software for themselves. I think the failure here was more a result of poor management decisions on the side of Avon, or poor trainiing on how to use the new software. They did not truly understand what system they needed for their company and made a poor decision.

I think enterprise software will get easier to use. The backend of it that the user does not see will continue to get more complex, but the user experience will become simpler, and more natural, both due to the software becomigne asier to use, and due to the older generation that is less understanding of new technology leaving the workforce.

I think as people become more accustomed to using software for their everyday lives their is an expectation for the software to work quickly and properly. In the past it may have been more common for the issue to be a user error, not using the software properly, however I believe today the majority of people in the developed world are comfortable and accustomed to using software and technology for everything in their lives, as a result when something is not working as expected it is much more likely to be an issue with the software and this frustrates people.

• 1. Do you think an enterprise software is efficient or ” working perfectly as designed” if the end user cannot use it?
    Not at all the whole point of creating new software is to allow it to be adapted to a company to make work easier and more efficient. If the software is to complicated to implement then it is not serving its purpose.

2. If enterpise software is going to keep up with the way the world is moving, do you think it will get easier to use or will it get more detailed and complicated to use?
    I think it will get easier. If they design software and keep in mind the end users needs as well as the company needs and goals then it will be very successful. If consumers really have an input on the design and use they the software will be very user friendly.

Yes, I think the newer generations are completely technology spoiled. When applications were first created everyone was so excited and amazed by the accessibility. But now that they are so common they really need to be flawless in design and usability to impress the users who have higher expectations.

No, I don’t think one can say enterprise software is efficient if the end user cannot able to use it and sales its product. I say it will be useless and inefficient.
    2. If Enterprise software is going to keep up with the way the world is moving, do you think it will get easier to use or will it get more detailed and complicated to use?

I think if the enterprise software designed to become user friendly and easy accessible to everyday use by normal and less pro to technology people, It will get easier.

Yes, I believe people are now expect everything be easy to use and anything that demand a little bit of thinking are an acceptable.

• Great article, Abena! This showcases some of the things that ERP vendors really need to be thinking about to stay competitive in the market! Great quote: traditional enterprise business is failing to offer the easy user experience that modern software customers need.

• 1. If the end user cannot use the software, then it is not serving its purpose. We would have to look at what the issues are though, is it compatible with what the user is trying to use it for? Have others been successful using the software? Or unsuccessful?

2. With the way technology continues to evolve, software should become easier to use. Like the article said, all of the most popular applications being used today are incredibly easy to use. If there is too much work or too many steps involved, people may not bother.

3. Yes, as I stated above, because a lot of software has become so easy to use people are less patient now than in past years. People want instant gratification. If I order something online today, I expect it to be shipped between tomorrow and the next two days. If it takes a week, I won’t be ordering from that particular vendor again.

• The system is not only for internal purpose. Consumers order product or inquiry products through the system, so they have high expectation, no patient. If your system is not ready to put out there, should not use it. More, Avon needs IT who are expert to fix the system when it has problems, and provides well training to employees, who are represent Avon to work with customers. Therefore, not well training employees can effect Avon reputation.

• I feel that people are less patient with technology. Computers that were purchased a few years ago are already considered slow. I have so much information on my computer and phone that I am very dependent on that technology. When they are running slow or not working, I do not have a great back up plan and am almost lost. The technology is great when it works!