MIS2101 Section 702 – Amy Lavin – Spring 2014

Why Fieldglass sold to software giant SAP

SAP recently announced it’s plans to acquire Fieldglass,  a cloud-based vendor management system for procuring and managing contingent labor and services.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20140326/BLOGS11/140329827/why-fieldglass-sold-to-software-giant-sap

Questions:

1 – With services such as these becoming cheaper and easier to use, will companies move more towards crowdsourcing instead of hiring permanent workers?

2 – Will cloud based procurement systems for labor and services increase the “pool” of potential employees? Will it become more commonplace for a small to mid-size company to hire employees in different states or countries?

3 – With SAP being one of the largest and most notable sellers of ERP products, are they forcing society to change to cloud-based vendor management systems when they acquire these companies?

6 Responses to Why Fieldglass sold to software giant SAP

• Yes, I believe companies will eventually move towards crowdsourcing instead of hiring permanent workers, especially if it will be cost effective. It will allow companies to hire employees in different states and countries, so instead potential applicants having to pick up and move, they can stay within the comforts of their own home. It can be a win-win situation for some people.

Since SAP is one of the largest and reputable sellers of ERP products, I don’t think this would force society to change to cloud-based vendor management systems. If companies are using an ERP system that works then why change. If they believe it could help the company expand and save money by changing to cloud-base than they should. The companies should research whether it would be cost effective or not.

• I think companies are already leaning on crowdsourcing and temporary workers instead of hiring permanent workers. It is much cheaper and efficient for certain tasks to use employees like this. Plus, you can pull people from all over the world to work together. I do think it will increase the pool of potential employees as people can work from basically anywhere in the world as long as they have internet. This is so convenient for employees and employers. I don’t think they are forcing society to change to cloud based management, but I think they are definitely putting it on the radar and making others more aware about it, which in turn might push people toward the cloud.

• I don’t think this will have an impact on companies hiring temproray workers or crowdsourcing. I think this will make it easier to better utilize them, but at the end of the day companies will still want to have the control over an employee they get by hiring them full time, instead of using them only temporarily.

I do think this will make it easier for companies to expand into new markets, such as new states, or countries. When starting out there they might prefer to avoid hiring a full time staff, and prefer to use consultants and temporary employees to sort of feel out the new market, and prepare themselves to enter fully.

I don’t think SAP is forcing society to change, I think kit’s the other way around. SAP realizes that if they do not adapt and start to increase their offerings of cloud based services tehy will lose customers to other software providers that do offer cloud based software. They are acquiring this company to remain competitive, not to try and force their customers to mvoe to the cloud.

• 1 – With services such as these becoming cheaper and easier to use, will companies move more towards crowdsourcing instead of hiring permanent workers?
    After reading the article I did not feel that the point of the software offered was to move away from physical employees. I think it was just to offer a product to help companies reduce costs in their HR departments
    I am not sure if it will increase the pool of potential employees. I think with the way technology is going is more people decide to focus their training and education on cloud then they will be better suited for the jobs. I also think the software will help companies better compare and evaluate potential employees against one another.

I definitely think these big companies have a lot of influence on the market and the new software that is created and distributed influences smaller companies. So no force but a definite strong push of suggestion and improvement.

Yes, I believe in the future most companies will prefer to contract out their computing system to an outside company such as SAP. Because it will be much cheaper to just hire this companies than recruit permanent workers and train them every time a new software system comes out.

I don’t think cloud base procurement systems will increase labor and service as much as ERP based computing system, because most of the computing is done remotely. And I believe eventually, yes it will become more commonplace for a small to mid-size company to hire employees in different states or countries as they embrace the cloud computing system.

Yes, eventually they will have a huge influence over their subscribers and clients to adapt the cloud-based vendor management systems in order to manage their day to day operations.

• Great article, Katie – I really enjoyed it. This is an interesting topic and I think becoming more of the norm, as we have discussed to some degree. A great quote from the article: Like other enterprise-software companies, SAP is moving quickly into “cloud-based” offerings that solve address specific needs of companies. Instead of buying software directly and installing it on their own equipment, companies increasingly are opting to pay for software that runs on the vendor’s equipment or “in the cloud.”