MIS 2101 – Jonathan Latko – Summer 2019

Weekly Question #1

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on May 21, 2019. Your response only needs to be about three or four sentences. These weekly questions should reinforce class discussions, readings and show some insight.  

Hint: If you sign into the site using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.

Watch the Did You Know Video – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqZiIO0YI7Y  

Comment below on what you thought was the most interesting fact and why. As current or future business leaders, what skills do you think are essential  for success in the digital economy?

27 Responses to Weekly Question #1

• There were tons of mind boggling facts in the video and the implications are even more profound. What I found most interesting however was that half of what a 4 year college student learns in their first year of study will be outdated by their third year. This is interesting because it plays with our notions on why a degree is valuable while also highlighting how important continuing education is for everyone (whether it be through staying up to date on books in your field, setting up Google alerts, attending annual conferences, or following current events). Skills such as technological proficiency, creativity, curiosity, networking, and cultural competency seem pertinent to success in today’s economy.

• I found that the most interesting fact in the video is that, “A weeks worth of the New York Times contains more information than a person was likely to come across in a lifetime in the 18th century. This is very surprising because it means that we as a species are that much more intelligent and aware due to what kind of information we have available to us.

As a future business leader (hopefully), I think that it is imperative to know my way around cloud and shareable data. Most all types of data is transitioning from internal to cloud based storage and knowing how to properly manage all of that data and be able to sort through it is very important.

• While just about all of these facts were extremely thought provoking, the most compelling fact for me was, “Predictions are that by 2049, a $1,000 computer will exceed the computational capabilities of the entire human species.” Simply put, within my lifetime, I am expected to own a computer that contains more capability than the world around me. What I find so interesting about this statement is that, at some point in my life, technology could very well control my existence. With such powerful technologies at the fingertips of humanity, it is likely that people will be living behind their computers in a fashion more than what is currently fathomable.

With this in mind, there are a multitude of characteristics that are pertinent to success in this digital age. Mainly, however, it is obvious that staying current with contemporary technologies is key. Being that computers are expected to be more capable than the entire human race means that value to an employer could change from knowledge to technological capability. Furthermore, from a business perspective, businesses will equally have to be up-to-par with modern technologies. A company without a digital footprint nowadays is essentially committing marketing suicide; these things are practically requirements to success. Overall, technology growing at an exponential rate, and businesses as well as humans will have to keep up to stay current.

• I thought the “U.S. Department of Labor estimates that today’s learner will have 10-14 jobs by the age of 38” was the most interesting to me. It’s crazy because I’ve already had three jobs, and I’m sure some of my peers have had more. But I used to think that I’d have maybe five to seven jobs in my lifetime. A high school job, a few college jobs, then eventually I’d work my way into my final career. But that’s clearly not true. “Business” is such an all-encompassing word, and there are so many different fields that we will go into, so I think having many different jobs over the course of your life will be beneficial in that they’ll prepare you for future jobs, as well as helping you gain important skills for the rest of your life. Having 10-14 jobs by the time that I’m 38 ensures that I’ll have tried a little of everything and I’ll have that experience to take with me.

• There were many facts and thoughts that had me baffled while watching this video. However, the most interesting thing that I learned in this video was that, “The top 10 in-demanded jobs in 2010 did not exist in 2004.” That is just a six year difference. It is so crazy to think that the jobs that we are looking forward to having a couple of years from now might be completely irrelevant because something newer and better could come up. This was the most interesting fact to me because I find it incredibly fascinating that we are potentially preparing for jobs that we don’t even know exist yet. From a business standpoint, I think it is great that many jobs are being created in this field. It opens up so much room for opportunity. To have success in a digital economy today, I would say some good traits to have would be networking and having an innovative mind.

• This video contain some truly staggering statistics! Watching this video makes me feel as if I’ve been living under a rock. In comparison to many of you in this course I am apart of an older generation. I can truly say I don’t have a true grasp on growing technology. The most interesting fact I found in this video is that of half of the information learned by a student beginning a four year a degree in technology will be outdated by their third year of study. It makes me wonder if paying for a technology degree in college will remain a good investment. How will spending thousands of dollars benefit a student if the information learned becomes outdated before you even graduate?

As time passes I realize more and more how important it is that I remain up to date on technological applications. I am not the best in issuing many computer software programs but as the statistics of this video shows if I do not at least continue my familiarity with technology I will become an obsolete employee. I am really interested in learning all of what this course has to offer although I was initially fearful of the course. Technology is here to stay whether I like it or not !!!

• The amount of facts in the video was truly overwhelming. The fact I found to be most interesting was the fact that a week’s worth of the New York Times contains more information than a person was likely to come across in a lifetime in the 18th century. Although I am unaware of the exact amount of information in a weeks worth of New York Times, I could imagine the difference in information available today than there was in the 18th century would be incredible. It leads me to wonder how Pythagorus discovered the Pythagorean theorem, maybe because there was less nonsense clouding his mind? Interesting stuff.

• The amount of facts and information on this video are just mind blowing, the part with social media such as Facebook and Twitter and how the amount of users have made Facebook add 70 different languages. Also, 1-10 different jobs by the age of 38 is kind of concerning in terms of why would employee keep on changing workplace? Pay? Benefits? Work life balance?

• what skills do you think are essential for success in the digital economy?
    I think that in order to be successful in the digital economy one needs to have a skill set that will help to process, analyze the information and make sense of it. It was fascinating to learn that the amount of information that is generated in our days each each in New York times magazine is more than a person in 18th century consumed in a lifetime.

• It’s crazy to see how much technology is really changing the world. As an MIS major, the amount of growth I would have to maintain throughout my career is intimidating, but also very exciting. I thought it was interesting that there are 31 billion google searches every month. I can imagine it’ll only grow further as time goes by.

• The video is very informative and highly educational. the point I want to discuss is the rise of technology and how it is impacting society currently. According to the video, the rise of technology is impacting the way students study and research paper as compare to days that technology was less effective. it is easier for students to get on their computers and get any information available, instead of going to the library and read through books to complete their research. Another point is how the internet is impacting dating and marriage. according to the video 1 out 8 couple marry last year met online.

• After watching this video I realized that technological development and the integration of advanced information systems basically serve the purpose of gathering data and utilize it for various decision-making activities regardless of the type of industry. I really found it staggering that in a particular year almost 4 exabytes of unique information is generated throughout the year and it was more than the information available in the previous 5,000 years. How I viewed this fact was that with such a bulk of unique information this means that the number of decisions made on a daily basis is also increasing and progressing day by day and year by year as the amount and flow of information increases. The rapid pace of information generation and collection also means that the professional and technological skill sets of individuals are being outdated rather quickly than 10 or 20 years in the past. I believe that in such a dynamic digital environment where our technical know-how and professional skills are vulnerable to obsoletion, future business leaders to develop a diverse skill set and increase their adaptability in the digital world. A pallet of a variety of technical skills and personal adaptability to changing digital environments is a crucial skill necessary for future business leaders to survive in the digital economy.

• Comment below on what you thought was the most interesting fact and why. As current or future business leaders, what skills do you think are essential for success in the digital economy?

Every fact in the duration of this video blew my mind but one interesting fact that I came across during this video was that the first commercial text message ever was sent in 1992. It may seem as though that is the least important message but it is actually a key aspect in my business. When running a cosmetic company and communicating with clients throughout the day, it is crucial to send and receive appointment alerts of any sort and/or simply replying to inquiries via text. I believe that growing up to digital technology at a young age was a huge bonus in understanding the tech world. Now, leaving college with skills such as professionally analyzing and processing data could lead to a strong possibility of being a future business leader. Leading into the fact that the total number of text messages sent and received everyday exceeds the total population of the planet is ridiculous, although I would say most of these texts are personal rather than business related.

• The fact that the top 10 in-demand jobs in 2010 didn’t even exist in 2004 illustrates the reality that there is an ever evolving job market with new jobs being created that never existed before! Technology is helping in the creation of new jobs as well as helping others to become more efficient with their current occupations. As current and future business leaders, I feel that not only is it important to keep up-to-date with market trends relating to your occupation but it is also important to stay up-to-date with technology news. There are technology trends that may disrupt your business, so adopting technology and programs that will help your business run more efficiently in order to run at its full potential is essential to being successful in today’s economy.

• There is so much information in this video it is hard to process and fully understand the meaning behind the numbers at first. The fact that stuck out to me the most was how a week worth of news published in The New York Times contains more information than a person was likely to come across in their entire lifetime in the 18th century. This is a good example of how simple life was in that time period and how significantly everyday life has changed with technology and globalization. News can be spread faster than ever. But it also raises the concern of what news that is being shared is real or significant or not. In the end of the video when they shared the facts about how during the time it took to watch the video 67 babies were born in the United States and 274 were born in China was so amazing because you can actually sense how quickly our earths population is growing and it is actually pretty scary.

• China and India have huge population, so they have more high IQ people. But the United States students have better education for their future careers. However, this video mentions we might learning something that will not exit in the future. Also the computers are smarter than human brain. There are many accounting soft wares can help individual and organization fill their tax report. Would accountant still exit in the future world. The skills for success in the digital economy, I think it is accept new things in future, and also learning something now.

• What I thought was interesting from the video is that the amount of technical information is doubling every 2 years. This is shocking to me because teenagers who are just starting college will not even know what’s gonna happen for their job opportunities in the world by the time they’re done their prerequisites. Going forward to be successful in the digital economy I’d say along with a business degree you’ll need a computer science or MIS degree. That teaches you about ever changing technology to give yourself an edge on the competition when trying to find a job in the ever changing job field.

• All of the facts in the video were fascinating, but the one that stood out to me the most was the fact that most of the jobs in 2010 did not exist 2004. On top of that, students are being prepared for jobs that do not even exist yet. Both of these facts are wild because it goes to show how rapidly the world is changing and adapting. When it comes to what skills are the most essential in the digital community, I think being able to communicate clearly and effectively are important as well as being able to work well with people. Another skill that is essential is being flexible and being able to adapt well to changes because the world is changing and evolving at such a fast rate, and it is key to be able to adapt along with it.

• It’s difficult to focus on one surprising facts in a video of several, One notable fact was that there are 31 billion google searches estimated within a month. I actually found this surprising because I thought it would be more. Google is such a commonly used tool in our lives and in my mind I imagined the number to be even more impossibly large. There are a multitude of skills that can be beneficial in this digital age. Specifically speaking from an economic standpoint I find a combination of technical knowledge as well as strong communication skills are key. I find that I sometime miss communicate things when conversing over text or email. Part of this is likely because these forms of communication feel less personal to me, as opposed to a conversation on the phone. I feel interaction in person or over the phone can be more intimate and I would say it is essential to be very specific when communicating online as to not miss communicate your motives. Knowing how to use these new sources of technology is also an essential part of the future. One must actively be learning as they age as to not be left behind.

• While there were numerous facts that stood out to me during the video, the most interesting fact was “For students starting a 4 year technical degree this means that… half of what they learn in their first year of study will be outdated by their third year of study”. This fact was very shocking to me, because the information I learned about as a freshman and the information the freshman will learn when I am graduation will be completely different. They might be learning with different tools of study, new and unique information in the world, it is all together a different education that I would be receiving. Skills that will keep you ahead in the digital economy is always striving to be one step ahead. While this is what many people strive for, trying to be one step ahead will give you the advantage of not being stuck in the present which is truly considered the past. You must be actively willing to learn more about the internet and use all platforms.

• There were a lot of interesting facts in this video but one that really stood out to me was that the top 10 in demand jobs did not exist yet in 2004. This proves that the world is really moving forward at a rapid pace due to technology and innovation. It is pretty crazy to think that 6 years from now there will likely be tons of jobs that we have not even heard of yet.

• While all these facts were surprising, the one that stood out the most to me was that “The 25% of India’s population with the highest IQs… is greater than the total population of the United States”. You would think that with all the resources we have available, our IQ would be better if not higher than theirs. As a business student, I think that innovation and technology skills are key to success in the digital economy.

• The fact that I found to be most interesting is the one that stated that the top 10 in demand jobs did not exist in 2004. And that we are now training the next generation for jobs that do not yet exist. Knowing how quickly technology evolves and seeing how advanced the youth are today comparted to where we were 10 years ago is fascinating and yet concerning. We must continue to be ahead of what is next in order remain competitive. Although technology is important I still be that one skill set that will always be valuable is people skills. Being able to effectively communicate, deliver a message, and manage conflict is an art that will never go away. There will always be a consumer or an end user for the products or services that are being provided and not understand human interaction will make us less competitive in the workforce.

• Although there are many interesting facts in the video, I found that “Half of what is learned by a student pursuing a technical degree will be outdated by their third year of study.” I viewed this as the most interesting fact because it shows how fast technology is evolving. It also shows that it is important to go back to school after a few years to catch up and learn the new information to be more qualified and meet higher expectations in the field. As a future business leader, I think networking and problem-solving skills are essential to be successful in the digital economy.

• What I found extremely incredible was how the statistics of all those facts compare to about a decade ago and how far the world has come, for good and bad. How is it possible that a supercomputer is capable of exceeding the capabilities of the human brain when it was built by one? The human species has reached goals that were unimaginable years ago because of technology and it will only advance from here. There should be some hope that while it makes lives easier, it doesn’t take away from what life is and what is needed to learn from it. There is no backtracking from what technology has given us but for sucess, it is important to be able to identify the limits and place barriers in the digital economy in order to remind ourselves of what we can do without these tools and simply with our own hands.

• If the Facebook community become a country, it will be the third vast population country after China and India. Every second 60 tweets are posting out to the public. Today is a digital world that people cost so much time in social media to communicate with others. Other than face-to-face communication, sometimes people can accept information quicker and better from the press. I think skills that essential for success in the digital economy are the ability of using social media platform and the problem-solving skills.

• The statistic I found most interesting was the fact that “Today’s learners will have 10-14 jobs by the age of 38.” The reason why is I come from an industrially heavy town, most of the people I know in their 40s and 50s have only had 1-3 jobs in their lifetime. I personally do not know one person who has had over 10 jobs in their lifetime. As a current business owner, I believe adaptivity is a key variable in success in the digital economy. Marketing and markets are always changing and if you are not adapting and already on to the next big thing you will be left behind.