MIS 2101 – Jonathan Latko – Summer 2019

Weekly Question #2

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on May 21, 2019. Your response only needs to be about three or four sentences. These weekly questions should reinforce class discussions, readings and show some insight.  

Hint: If you sign into the site using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.

This week, you will review Business Rules, Decision Trees & Conceptual Architecture Diagrams.  What are some areas, other than information systems, where you could see a decision tree being really helpful?  Why?  

17 Responses to Weekly Question #2

• A decision tree could be helpful before any life changing decison or even small impactful every day decisons. Which car should I buy? What college should I go to? Should I eat a salad or a burger? It writes out all the possible outcomes of any action you take. After seeing it written out, you may be more inclined to follow the more logical decison rather than follow emotional impulse.

• Looking at today’s society, and how technology is impacting the way we think, live, and do things. the idea of decision trees is very useful, because it can be used in our day to day activities. Decision trees can be very useful in planning a vacation trip, like airline to travel with, hotel for accommodation, car to rent or even play a huge role in helping big or small businesses hire or manage employees. It is not only essential in information system but also influential in our daily use.

• Decision trees can also be helpful in the fields of education and psychology. For example, in educational psych, we do a lot of assessments to determine if a student has a disability but it can be hard to determine what assessment tool is best/most appropriate. There are lots of factors to consider like age of the student, time available, and so on, so a decision tree would be helpful.

• A decision tree can be very helpful in instances where there are numerous outcomes to a particular situation and if especially the decision is extremely important requiring careful and thoughtful thinking before choosing a decision. In a real-life example where I actually saw a decision tree being used was when my family was deciding whether to renovate our house or either purchasing a newly constructed house and move out. My parents ended up considering a lot of different factors which were in play the most significant among them were the cost of renovation vs. purchase, the time required for renovation vs. purchase, the locality of the new property, so on and so forth. There were several other factors which actually helped my family in making the best decision, although there were many options available on approaching this situation a decision tree allowed us to compare our present situation and its’ compatibility with either of the two options.

• Watching the video on decision trees has truly helped me to understand their importance. The example used in the film truly showed how business rules can be very confusing if not placed on a decision tree. I can think of a few instances where a decision tree maybe useful. As a financial aid Advisor with Temple University I believe a decision tree could be used in assisting students with one of the most important decisions of a young persons life, which college to attend or event if attending college is beneficial. A student could use a decision tree map out what they are looking for in a university or their qualifications which then can coincide with other factors used to made the college decision. Which are cost of attendance, distance from home. safety of the location and who knows even the food provided.

I am also a small business owner and believe I may create a decision tree of my own to price products according to ounces and other specifics.

• Decision trees give people the benefit of putting in an input and seeing what the output is. They are an effective way of making decisions. The one field where I think decision trees are most beneficial other than information systems is in the financial field. I think this because it can make saving money or purchasing products much easier. You can make a list of things that you may or may not need and go down the list of items answering yes or no and the reason behind your yes or no. Decision trees are a good way to see if you can/should perform any given action. I also think that decision trees are most helpful when there is more than one consequence. Not only are decision trees used in information systems but they can also be used in our every day life.

• Besides being used for social media algorithms, tracking online consumer behavior, or structuring an organization’s information system, decision trees can be used in creating safety procedures within an organization. Using a decision tree to create a safety procedure allows a company to create a clear and informative decision making process in the case of an emergency such as reporting sexual harassment and what to do in the scenario of a tornado. Decision trees can help to keep people in an organization safe and help the organization stay accountable for providing a safe environment for workers.

• I think decision trees can use on medical purpose. Before, the patients visit doctors, they can fill a survey form. They will ask where you had been? What did you eat? Which part of your body feel pain? That will be helpful for doctor understand more about patients sickness.

• I think decision trees can be helpful in situations involving business and/or financial decisions. Decision trees would clearly layout the options one might have when going about their decision making process. This is helpful because you can see what your outcomes are depending which route you take. Also, it will help gauge how much you will potentially have to spend or how much you could potentially save. An example would be deciding on whether to purchase a new system for a business or keep the current one.

• I think that decision trees can be very helpful in business. One can use it when there is a variety of options, for example deciding between two different business projects versus not doing any at all. It is not limited to business, however as it could used to help organize your thoughts in any situations where there are multiple decisions.

• A decision tree is helpful before any type of decisions, whether it’s in your business or personal life. For example, it could be helpful when deciding which type of marketing campaign you should run or how much money you should invest in marketing. It doesn’t have to be just marketing or business, it can be helpful in any situation where there are many decisions/outcomes.

• A decision tree can be helpful in any aspect I believe. All decisions have a negative and a positive, therefore drawing up a decision tree can help you see what all those negatives and positives are; and therefore helping you choose the best possible outcome. Some examples of this are buying the new iPhone, which college to attend, and which job offer should you take.

• Decision trees seem to me to be comparable to the risk management but more methodical. Once you have a very general starting point you can start to ask basic questions and based off the answers, move along from there. The version of risk management that I was taught, You begin your plan and avoid all the unnecessary risk you can in order to complete that plan. A decision tree certainly seems similar as you are making step by step decisions based off the answer prior and by doing so you are avoiding a lot of unnecessary risk along the way.

That being said, I think that a decision tree would be useful at any level of work from an upper level manager down to a front line employee. A decision tree is a visual/physical form of what are brain does sub-consciously over and over throughout the day.

• A decision tree would be helpful for HRM when hiring resources. Where the individual manager will select a candidate based on qualifications the hiring process can use a decision tree to ensure that the onboarding is done properly and is inline with state laws, rules and regulations. For example, does the candidate require a visa sponsorship? Does the candidate work in a state that has a higher minimum wage? Will the candidate work outside of the US and therefore require a shift differential to work during US time zones. A decision tree and easily outline some common questions to follow to ensure the organization remains compliant.

• I think a decision tree would be helpful in the stock market to possibly predict a stocks growth. Economists, bankers, and everyday stock traders attempt to accurately and profitably predict the financial market and I think that a decision tree could be useful in their analysis. You can use technical indicators and get the change in a stock each day to gain information and make a stock market prediction.

• I think a decision tree would be helpful for PR when judging the situation. For PR, people should understand the real condition of the issue, observe the event from all aspects, and then take action on the issue. For different perspective and views, the decision tree can help PR better analyze the problem and corresponding action.

• When I look at decision trees I think about how I think of processes and it is almost identical. I believe decision trees are extremely applicable in many places in business especially management and as reminders for what employees can do when they believe they have accomplished all the required work. By implementing decision trees and ERD models into employee handbooks at restaurants or other systems that require a large deal of labor we can optimize output and minimize input. Another process that can be regulated is Maintenence processes, many times people in these industries are getting items repaired that are mostly functional which wastes time and money, decision tees help make sure those processes are perfected,