Software Development Internship, Tapp Network
Feb 2019 – May 2019
1. About Tapp Network
- A fast-growing, mission-driven marketing and technology company
- Mission: Leverage technology and digital marketing to educate audiences, foster healthy brand engagement, and promote positive behavior change.
- Products: marketing & digital solutions, websites and applications that help streamline and integrate business processes, increase sales and the bottom lines, and build brand awareness and market positioning
- Locations: Wilmington DE & St. Petersburg, FL
2. Internship positions
I worked as a Software Developer in the first half of my internship and a Project Manager in the second half of my internship. I collaborated and reported directly to Tapp CTO.
As I familiarized myself more with our software, the DevOps Team, and our applications, I got promoted to become a project manager when we won a contract with a new client and developed a project planning & sprint planning for that entire project since then. (will mention that project down below)
Working in the fast-paced, entrepreneurial business like Tapp for 20 hours a week while taking 18-credit classes was very fun! I have a lot of opportunities to interact with external customers, learn new technologies, develop my coding and PM skills, and especially become an expert in the product that we made.
3. Key projects
Contract Builder Web App
- Overview: Created a web application to generate contracts quickly by filling out simple entry fields in the existing templates. This app allows users to create contract templates and client lists, send contracts to clients within the app, and keep track of the contract status (seen, win, lose, etc)
- Skills: Agile, Sprint Planning, Requirement Gathering, User Stories Development, Data Schema, and Workflow Diagram
Learning Management Systems
- Overview: Developed an LMS (Learning Management Systems) application for pharmaceutical companies to train their current employees and onboard new employees. The application includes both the admin and the user portals with several educational modules such as quizzes, assignments, badges systems and notification features.
Ad Hoc Tasks
Several Opportunities to Grow My Skills
- Overview: It is common to wear multiple hats in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial company like Tapp and this applies to everyone, including interns. Besides key projects, I sometimes had to perform QA testing, conduct research about tech tools, markets, and competitors, document APIs, create SOWs and contracts, and build comparison analysis for other side projects.
- Skills: Research, QA testing, business acumen, critical and big-picture thinking.