Information Systems in Organizations

The Evolving Challenge of Cybersecurity

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-evolving-challenge-of-cybersecurity/

picture

Chapter 10 of our text starts off by describing the various security threats that can occur on information systems and the importance of engaging in IS risk management as computer criminals and their crimes increase. Valacich also mentions that the US government is one of the most targeted organizations for hackers and crackers that are looking for information. A recent article from CBS News highlights this concerning topic as the government seeks a remedy in their latest cyberattacks. It has been disclosed that the US Army’s website was victim to a hacking claimed to be by the Syrian Electronic Army. Upon entering the website, a pop up message was displayed that read “your commanders admit they are training the people they have sent you to die fighting.” However, as soon as the government became aware of the breach, the website was quickly taken down for repair.

The accompanying video with the article includes an in-depth discussion of this topic as well the vulnerabilities that come with cloud computing and ways to improve our cyber security when doing business online. It is important to note that the government is not the only entity at risk. With an increasing trend in hacking and technology advancing towards cloud computing, many new security threats will enter consumers’ daily lives. Keeping files on a cloud makes it easier for hackers/crackers to obtain personal information, therefore it is crucial for everyone to maintain cybersecurity. Some of the methods discussed include using only one credit card to make online purchases and regularly changing the passwords to important accounts.

1. Chapter 10 states that “a cyber cold war is an imminent threat for the world’s computers.” Do you think the recent news of the attacks against the government foreshadows an increase in cyberwar and cyberterrorism?

2. Have you ever been a victim of a cybercrime? If so, how has it changed your outlook on the use of the internet?

3. What do you think is the most important thing for individuals or the government to do to improve cybersecurity?

5 Responses to The Evolving Challenge of Cybersecurity

• In response to question 3 I think that the government can improve cyber security by first enforcing their basic cyber security standards, updating their technology and limiting who gets access into networks. The government should become more aggressive in cyber security, while attempting to get their personnel better equip to prevent, investigate, and detect suspicious activities. As for individuals we should be using anti-virus software and keeping it updated, change our passwords more frequently, and have a back up for our computer data.

• 1. I do believe that the recent attacks against the government displays an increase in cyberwar/cyberterrorism. If an outside organization were to hack into the United States Government’s computer systems and retrieve sensitive information could open a whole new world of war.
    2. I have never been a victim of cybercrime (knock on wood!). I have been a victim of identity theft when someone stole my wallet. That has opened my eyes to how I use my personal information on the Internet.
    3. The most important thing for individuals to do to improve their cybersecurity is to be aware of what information they are positing out there. Once your post something to the internet it is technically there forever and allows someone else to attempt to gain access to that information. Never save passwords or credit card information on the internet! The government can just continue to alter their monitoring to keep up with the fast changing economy and continue to do the best they can!

• The number of cyber-attacks between Ukraine and Russia were raised sharply as relations have worsened with the overthrow of the Yanukovych government and the annexation of Crimea. There are many cyber bulling cases in the social media where people posted rude comments under pictures of national flag or symbols. I was a victim of cybercrime few times; my email and my social media profile were hacked.

• As technology continues to develop, consumers place more and more trust into companies — sometimes not even thinking twice about giving payment information into a mobile device and even storing that payment information for future use. Apps like Uber, Starbucks, target, eBay and Amazon all have options to save payment info into their applications. By doing so consumers run the risk of that application being hacked and having their information obtained — and if you watch the news you know that it happens all the time — most recently with the Starbucks app. I have never personally been a victim of cyber hacking, but I do work at a bank where customers come in very frequently with fraud disputes for purchases that they did not make. Many of times we find that these customers card information was obtain through some type of data breach weather it be online or mobile device. This is good enough reason for me to not store my payment info online or on mobile as II have first hand experience with how vulnerable these systems are.

• Great article and questions! I am sure we’ll have lots to say on this topic!