This Year
No Points
Total
1015 Points
MIS Badge

Click here
to validate the recipient

My Featured Coursework

In my Fall 2014 semester, I took MIS3501, a course designed to teach its students foundation skills in HTML and PHP while applying our previous knowledge of SQL to web development. During the second half of the class, the class was divided into groups and began work on the semester project. This project involved creating a web page that faced both clients and employees; displayed, added, and removed records from a database that we built; and assessed/cleansed data upon entry (including login credentials). This was an important project because it was the first within the MIS major where students had to learn and apply hard coding skills. On a personal level, this was an important assignment because before I took the course, I had no interest in web development, and by the end of the project I was volunteering for PHP projects at my internship.

somerville

In Digital Design & Innovation (MIS3504), students learned their first skills as business analysts by working on a semester-long project with a real local company. The course that follows is a project management course (MIS3535) that takes students who passed the business analysis class and puts them on a team of project managers who manage a small team of business analysts currently taking MIS3504. This allows every student to work from two perspectives of a project. The companies my classes developed solutions for were Blinds 4 U and Somervill Lumber Company. Blinds 4 U is a custom blinds installer based in Villanova, PA that I worked on as a business analyst to improve their social media presence, integrate it with a renovated site, and manage all promotion through one interface. For Somerville Lumber, a local residential construction and remodeling company, I acted as a PM for a team of BA’s that developed an improved website and several improved new processes.

In my Spring 2015 capstone course, I joined a group hbo and chose a company for our semester-long project. The company we chose was Home Box Office (HBO), and over the course of the semester, we conducted   an enormous amount of research on the company and industry in order to form an accurate firm overview, business challenge, macro/micro-environmental analysis, and provide recommendations that best suited the company. This project was unlike any other I have been assigned because we got to pick our company in the first couple of weeks and then bring structure to an otherwise nebulous idea. Although Harvard Business and Ivey cases are important, they put all the necessary information in nice graphs and in context. The HBO project taught my group how to properly find information on a topic and then determine the salience of the information we found.

Skip to toolbar