MIS4596 CAPSTONE COURSE

Nvidia plays Shield console as Netflix for games

nvidia_shield_console

After the presentation on Tuesday involving video games/consoles, I thought this product was worth mentioning. In this article, Benny Evangelista, talks about Nvidia’s new console know as Shield. Priced at $199, Shield is described as “part smart TV, part game console, and part Netflix.” With an emphasis on gaming, Shield aims to stream video games the same way the Netflix streams videos. This would allow gamers to play instantly instead of waiting for hundreds of GB to download and plan to have 50 on-demand games by its launch date in May. Nvidia believes that with Sheild’s processor, it will be able to play games better than current video game consoles. Along with this, Shield will also have voice-controlled Android TV and will stream ultra HD online movies and video, play music, and display digital photos and running apps. With all these features, Nvidia hopes to make current video game consoles like PlayStation and Xbox obsolete. While also competing with streaming media devices like Apple and Roku.

Do you think that Nvidia’s Shield console has the ability disrupt the current video game console market and/or the streaming media device market? What suggestions/actions do you think companies in these markets should do to hinder Shield from gaining a share of the market?

3 Responses to Nvidia plays Shield console as Netflix for games

• I feel it definitely can. Currently there are so many products coming in to markets with big players only and I do feel with the demand there is a lot of room for expansion.

• I think there’s definitely potential for disruption, mostly because of the aspect of instant streaming, which other consoles can’t offer. I think that in order to keep Nvidia’s Shield from getting too much of the market, incumbents like PlayStation and Xbox need to partner with popular game manufacturers (those who produce Madden, COD, etc.), to ensure that those games are only available through their consoles and are not available for streaming. I think that game selection will be a huge deciding factor for consumers that can make or break Shield.

• Good find. The Nvidia Shield has the potential to be disruptive over time (not initially), but there are three reasons I think it will simply be a niche product that doesn’t disrupt the industry or its incumbents (such as Sony or Microsoft).

1) Other products like this exist, such as OnLive, but Shield requires the physical console in order for the grid service to work; OnLive, on the other hand, takes full advantage of the “Internet of Things” and allows a user to stream games (also in a number of subscription plans) on a variety of internet-enabled devices, along with a physical console the company provides.

2) The Shield, as of now, is looking like it will be more of an alternative to a standard gaming PC. Its infrastructure is a combination of a PC-esque platform (comparable to Valve’s Steam platform and its related “Steam Box” PC-esque consoles) and Android, and aims to be an all-around entertainment platform built on the foundation of streaming. It has impressive specs and a great price (and on this front it can be viewed as superior to the processing power and price of traditional video game consoles), but, even with a large focus on games, there’s nothing new the console/service is offering to a traditional “gamer”, which brings me to my 3rd point

3) Games. As mentioned in the article, Nvidia will need to add a lot more games to its console/service before it can become a viable alternative and competitor to companies like Sony and Microsoft. As of now, there are only 50 games lined up for the service. Nvidia will also need to acquire exclusivity, but with its hybrid PC/Android infrastructure, by default this isn’t really possible; in other words, it is only capable of playing what is already available or will be available on the PC or Android. The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, on the other hand, are proprietary consoles with their own unique infrastructure that have a multitude of exclusive games and services that enable them to remain as leaders in the market. Also, with companies like Sony already starting to stream games with its PlayStation Now service (as I mentioned in my presentation) on multiple Sony devices, it will be hard for Nvidia to convince gamers to shift to their new platform without offering more exclusive benefits.

Overall it will remain an attractive alternative for niche consumers, but in my opinion it will be nothing more.