The Most Toxic Types of People to Avoid at Work

As a majority of us are graduating this semester and moving into the workplace, I found this article to be very interesting and helpful in that we absolutely do not want to be one of those people who others should avoid and look down to. It is imperative that as entry level employees we are very perky and willing to learn as much as possible. Keeping an open mind and being flexible are two of the most important attributes that we all must contribute to wherever we decide to work. Considering our low levels of experience, and the big companies some of us will be working for very soon, there will most definitely be a lot of learning to do. Learning entails keeping our heads us and with our eyes and ears open to whatever anyone is saying to us. It will be easy to get bogged down by other employees who maybe have been there for a while and somewhat grown into disliking their work. Some of the most helpful tips I read to steer away from these kind of people are included in the following:

Constant complainer. Negativity is draining and depressing, both for the person complaining and those around him or her. While there are certainly plenty of legitimate issues one might complain about at work, beware of people who seem perpetually dissatisfied and are constantly kvetching about issues at work that can’t be changed.

Boundaryless BFF. It’s nice to have allies at work, and over time, some colleagues may consider themselves to be friends as well as co-workers. But when a peer or boss comes on too strong and quickly in the friendship department, see it as a red flag.

Office bully. According to 2015 research by Connectria Hosting, more than half (55 percent) of all professionals surveyed have been bullied by a co-worker, and 65 percent say they have “dreaded” going to work because of a colleague.

A person’s attitude will be the best indicator of these traits, so if you sense them within the first encounters with a fellow employee, be sure to take a step back to keep YOUR head on straight, then do whatever it takes to get your work done and minimize the time/encounters needed to be with the fellow employee.

5 Responses to The Most Toxic Types of People to Avoid at Work

• I completely agree with these types of people ruining a work day. I have encountered all three of these types of co-workers and each one is equally painful to work beside. One type of co-worker that is not listed above is the “One-Upper”, the person who is always trying to prove to you that their work is better or the school they attended was better than yours. Sometimes being an unhealthy overachiever makes other seem inadequate.

• These are definitely the types of people to avoid in the office. I’m sure we all have stories of each example provided. With these types of people you definitely need to monitor your relationships with them. I think of the 3 I try to avoid the constant complainers the most. I just feel that complaining is so unproductive and it can be annoying to listen to people excessively complain.

• I agree with Angela when she says that these people are miserable to work with. However, this can give graduating college students a one up because a positive attitude can be a huge selling point in any job interviews or internships that will lead to potential entry level positions. People notice negative attitudes. I know from personal experience, in a few interviews i had when I asked the interviewer what kind of traits they are looking for in their employees and in almost all of them, they said a positive attitude and being personable.

• I agree with this post. You don’t want to work with negative people because it will just effect your work and environment. I agree with Arren because I also had a few interviews and a lot of employers look for people who have a positive attitude and enjoy going to work.

• I agree with the comments above. You don’t want to work with those types of people because they can affect your attitude at work. But at the same time, people need to work hard not to become these type of people because it can negatively impact your relationships at work. I also agree with Arren’s comment, but nowadays a lot of people are getting interviews because of the people they know. People now need to worry that the people they know don’t fall into any of these categories. Otherwise, this might influence the recruiters’ decision.