MIS4596 CAPSTONE COURSE

Entrepreneurial Success through Mentorship

mentorship photo

In researching mentorship in the startup culture, I located a Forbes magazine article entitled “Why Entrepreneurs Need Good Mentors.” According to the author, a key benefit of having an accessible and knowledgeable mentor is that he or she can help you make good decisions more quickly; particularly in a startup situation, it is better to make a good decision sooner rather than a perfect decision later.

In addition to accessibility which permits prompt feedback, a good mentor should have “expert-level” experience, preferably as an entrepreneur, as well as a “direct yet supportive” feedback style. This latter point relates to our discussion in class about what makes a strong performance review: it is important that performance issues, whether of an employee or of an entrepreneur, be identified so that corrective action can be taken, but it is also important to make criticisms constructive. It is just as valuable to point out strengths as it is to point out weaknesses.

With the author’s points in mind, how do you feel your meetings with your mentor will guide your project’s direction? Also, what connections can you draw between your mentor’s experiences and your project?

One Response to Entrepreneurial Success through Mentorship

• One lesson that my mentor from my internship passed along to me was that people bring value to projects in multiple ways. Whether it be through knowledge, technical skills, communication, sales, or expertise in a specific topic, everyone has something to bring to the table and help the project be successful. This is something that I try to keep in mind during every project, and is useful when group projects are going through a rough patch. Taking the time to reflect on how certain members can use their skill sets to help the project’s progress can really take a project to the next level, and improve the morale and success of the team.