MIS4596 CAPSTONE COURSE

With Windows 10, Your Face Will Be Your Password

http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/17/your-windows-10-password-will-be-your-face/#9tKYA4:KAm2

With Windows 10 right around the corner, Microsoft just Windows Hello. If your computer has the right hardware (being Intel’s RealSense camera), your login password can be your face. It will also be used to unlock a number of online services and applications that are linked to your account. It’s not clear as to how accurate or secure this will be (i.e. What if I just print a picture of a person’s face? Would that allow me to sign in?). If done right, though, then this will probably be a popular and secure feature.

While this in particular may not be disrupting any markets (it’s just a password), it gives a glimpse into how this sort of technology will change the way we access hardware and software, and has great implications for the security industry. For example, imagine if this technology were used in order to gain access to your home. There would be a camera at your door, and the door would unlock only if it recognized your face as being a resident of the house. By bring Microsoft Hello to computers, it will help spread awareness of autonomous technology and the benefits of it.

What do you guys think about this? Is this a good or bad idea? Can you think of any other autonomous technologies could be effectively implemented on personal computers? I personally think this can be a good thing if Microsoft is able to make the software really smart at detecting actual faces from fake ones. However, I don’t think it makes sense to make your face the password. It would make more sense to have your face be the username, or at least a security measure to gaining access to your username.

3 Responses to With Windows 10, Your Face Will Be Your Password

• I think that there’s a negative stigma with consumers about facial recognition software. I know there was a lot of backlash when Facebook introduced it for pictures, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the same thing happened with Windows 10. Regardless of whether this is able to increase security, I think consumers will think that this type of technology is intrusive. However, since you’d have to purchase hardware for this anyway (the camera), another idea could be to sell a sensor that can read your fingerprint to sign in. The fingerprint reader on my iPhone is by far my favorite feature, and I think that’s a good way to increase security without overstepping on consumer’s privacy.

• I think this could definitely be implemented in addition to fingerprint recognition, but as a standalone service I doubt it will be successful. Erin has said it well, earlier versions of windows have adopted it and it was also not very stable.

• I think it’s a pretty cool idea but Microsoft would have to make sure its very safe and secure because that could have a negative impact. I also agree with that you said in your post about making your face the username and not the password. I don’t think it is a good idea for your face to be the password unless it’s extremely secure and safe. In order for this to be safe I think it has to know your face realtime and not just a print out of your face because anyone can just go on one of your social media sites and print out a page with your face on it.